Search

Pacuare Lodge with Kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:32 PM
studiojr

Pacuare Lodge with Kids

Would appreciate hearing from a family who has rafted into and stayed at the Pacuare Lodge. Our boys are 11 and 14.

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The camp doesn't amount to a whole lot. It is tent camping but there were pads with sheets to sleep on when we went. The guides are great and the food was great. We were 4 adults though so can't say how younger kids would like it. If they are used to camping then it will be fine.

This can be a rough river depending on the water level. We have run it several times. We ran into one older couple once who thought they had signed up for a float trip! They were totally unprepared. They insisted that the guide call someone and have them transported out. At that point, the only way out was to hike over the mountain. The guides just had them sit inside the raft on the floor of the and hold on. They did fine.

If you aren't doing your whole trip with them (CRE)you might want to consider Rios Tropicales and Aventuras Naturales. Their river lodges are much nicer. The actual rafting will be just as safe(or as safe as possible under the conditions). CRE, Rios Tropicales and Aventuras are all well thought of companies with safety first and foremost. They will cancel a trip if they feel the river is too dangerous. Hopefully your younger son will be a year older as they (CRE) don't take anyone under 12 on that trip as far as I know. I just looked up Rios Tropicales and they don't take anyone under 14. Aventuras will take 12yr olds.

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:41 AM
studiojr

thanks, we are in fact booked in the lodge, not the tent camp. it was featured in travel and leisure and seems rather luxurious for the middle of the jungle. there are private baths, happy hour, meals, excursions to indian villages, canopy tours, etc. they said that an 11-yr. old could go on the trip if we sign a waiver (which we have to sign anyway)...

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:44 AM

I am so sorry. I have been running around like crazy getting ready to leave for CR and somehow read CRE into your message. I looked up the Pacuare Lodge and it took awhile to figure out that it was indeed the Aventuras Lodge. I have seen it but not stayed there. It will be a wonderful adventure for the whole family. That area is just beautiful.
I think you will be amazed at what they can do out there in the jungle. We have had some great happy hours out there! The Rios Tropicales river lodge has full electric for the caretakers house as well as most of the lodge area. I am assuming that the Aventuras Lodge is electrified in the same way. It is all generated by hydroelectric.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:18 PM
studiojr

thanks, jessie...it was outside magazine that profiled the lodge - named it one of the top 10 adventure lodges in the world. do you think the pacuare will be too rough for my 11 yr. old.? they are giving us the option of ground transportation out to miss the class iv rapids.
or..to switch gears, we could go to tortuguero instead....

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:24 AM

They are two very different experiences. I enjoy both. The boys might prefer the Pacuare. The rafting and hiking are a lot more physical and if they are typical boys they would probably love the activity. On the other hand, if it is wildlife you want to see, Tortuguero would give you a better chance but.... the boys might get a little antsy sitting in a slow boat most of the time. You didn't say where else you were going. That could make a difference.

As I mentioned, the Pacuare can be rough. I have seen many grown men thrown out but no one was hurt. On the other hand, I have been 5 or 6 times and have never been thrown out, my husband was once when the water was really high.

Ultimately, you are the best judge on what you think your kids can handle. If the boys are physically active and can listen well to instructions, they would probably do fine on the river. It is a great experience and the river is beautiful. They take you into waterfalls while in the rafts, they stop at other ones to climb around on. There are beautifully calm areas to float in outside the raft. The rapids are fairly short compared to some I have done on other rivers. Staying at the Pacuare Lodge would be an experience they will remember and I am sure Mom and Dad will love it too.