COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

How is Cancun in August?

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Kat

How is Cancun in August?

I hear conflicting stories about bad weather, hurricanes and humidity in August. Is it great, is it horrible? Is it crowded?

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Joanna

Hi Kat,

I have always been to Cancun around August, the last time, we just missed the hurricane. The only thing we noticed was some nice waves in front of the hotel zone. As for the heat, it is pretty hot, but as long as you are in the water or have water, it is not bad. You actually get pretty used to it. Sometimes there is a little shower, but not enough to put a damper on things. If you go to the ruins (inland) be sure to bring cool clothing and bug spray, it will be very hot there. As for the crowds, where are you going?

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Kat

Hi Joanna, Thanks for your comments. I heard about the mosquitos, so I'll bring some Deet and not worry too much. I plan to see only Coba and Chichen Itza in terms of ruins, then I'll spend more of my time enjoying places between Chetumal and Plaza del Carmen. Most likely, I'll only spend my last hours exploring Cancun because I'm not too hip on touristy type places.

What have you seen in that area, and how often have you been to Cancun? Do you go alone? What threat do hurricanes pose and how often have they intruded on your trip?

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:29 AM
Ana

Six of us traveled to Cancun and had two suites.

Day 1. Saturday (May 18)- arrival mid-afternoon. (Caracas- Miami - Cancun. Took a shuttle to the hotel, and paid for it in the customs area 75 pesos ($9)p/pax.

We checked in at the Royal Caribbean, and were given each beautiful two room suites. Each suite had 1 king size bed, bath, closet - kitchen, dining and living area in the middle (sleeping sofa) - 2 full beds, bath and minifrig. on the other wing. Luxurious marble floors, beautiful tiles and complete kitchen with dishwasher etc.

It was cloudy so we took a bus for 6 pesos and went downtown. We had a super lunch/supper. Some great tacos, enchiladas and Corona beers. We were so tired, that we took a small tour of the stores, and went back to the hotel.

Day 2.-Sunday.
Sunday - It rained ALL DAY LONG. REALLY RAINED. We hung out in one of the rooms, talked (we hadn't seen each for a year, so there was a lot to talk about), played cards, and relaxed. We decided to rent a car for 4 days, since the weather forecast said RAIN ALL WEEK LONG.

Day 3 -Monday.
We rented a mini van with AVIS. Got a great deal. Paid for 3 days and were given an extra day.
We went to Chichen Itza. Awesome. The pyramids and building are very interesting, more than what I expected. To really understand you must have a guide. They have an 8PM "light show" at Chichen Itza. They tell the story of the Itzai people in Spanish, but have translating apparatus. Right in the middle of the show, a shooting star slowly fell, and disappeared behind the big pyramid. At first I didn't know what it was, I thought it was a firework display gone sour, but then our friends, and all the ohhhs!!! and ahhhs!!!! from the audience, confirmed that what we had seen was a shooting star.

While waiting for the light show, we went to 3 nearby "cenotes". Cenotes are underground rivers, native to the Yucatan peninsula. Some are uncovered, some are covered. They say a meteor fell and the stones that were strewn around opened some of these holes and exposed the underground rivers. They are unique in the world and incredible. There is one called the Blue Cenote (can't recall the Mayan name). That day we went to 3 cenotes, but only swam in the Blue Cenote. The second cenote was a covered underground river, with very interesting rock forms. The third was uncovered, we saw it, but were too tired to go in.

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:31 AM
Ana

Day 4- Tuesday.
We went to Tulum. At first it was very sunny, then a downpour. The ruins were fine, but smaller than Chichen Itza. Tulum is unique because of its localization. The beach, is turquoise and very beautiful. Many people bathe in it. There is a nearby pristine blue turquoise beach, but you have go down some steep steps carved into the mountain.

We left Tulum and had a typical lunch on the way to Playa del Carmen (PDC). The day cleared up, and we went to the beach in the afternoon. There was a mariachi band playing (hired by some guys having a good time on the beach). The guys were drinking and dancing up a storm. Very bohemian atmosphere.

Day 5- Wednesday.
We went to a park that was built around a cenote called Ixcaret. We "rode" the river and had a great time. The weather was overcast, and we probably got around 5 mins. of sunshine all around. We just relaxed on the beach, had lunch, a nap, swam in a lagoon with some beautiful fish. We did not go to the swim with the dolphins, since we don't approve of this. The highlight of the day was the show. The first half of it was based on the Mayan theme and the arrival of the Spaniards. The second part was based on the different music and dances of Mexico. We were given candles which were lit and enjoyed all of it. We weren't expecting such a good quality show.

Day 6- Thursday.
We had planned a trip for Cozumel island. One of our friends is a scuba diver, so he went on a scuba tour of the cenotes into the flooded caves. These are found in between Tulum and PDC. He had a great time, we didn't.
He dropped us in PDC around 12 AM and bought the ferry tickets, (16 pesos p/pax) and had a 40 min trip, sailing at 1 PM. Seasick is not just a word... The water is always, very choppy. We got there alright, many people threw up, but we were strong. Cozumel looks nice(we only got to see downtown since were on a limited time schedule because we had arranged to meet Scuba Friend around 5:30 PM.)
On the trip back, my husband lost it. I was about to, but I had remembered a tip from long ago. It you suck on some lemon this settles your stomach. Most of us did this, and it worked. Cozumel is great if you make it a day trip. If you arrive early in the morning (ferry starts at 7 AM) and leave late (last ferry is 10PM) you can have a great day. It seems the trip is always very rock. The attendants on the ship carry bags for seasickness.
When we recovered, we "discovered" nite time PDC. The streets are roped and no cars are allowed, so pedestrians are able to stroll at their leisure. The stores open till late, good restaurants (take your pick - all types of food), the streets are filled with musicians, nice atmosphere. We felt safe all the time.

Day 7- Friday.
We returned the minivan, and spent the day at the resort just relaxing. We had lunch at the hotel. Our scuba friend took a scuba trip in the morning and another at nite. He said both were worth it, but the nite dive was the best.
We treated ourselves to a nite on the town. Took a bus to the mall and had supper at an Argentinean rest. called Cambalache. It is located in a mall near the new Hard Rock Cafe. There was a free circus act going on in the front of the mall, with chairs for the people.
A jazz festival had begun that day (Memorial Day Weekend) and there were a LOT of people.

Day 8-Saturday.
Left Cancun at 7 AM. My friends stayed one more day. Scuba Friend was supposed to go to Cozumel that day for a full day scuba trip. This area has the number 2 "Arrecife" (coral reef) in the world. I have to call them to see how it went.

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:31 AM
Ana

I forgot to mention that the entrance to Ixcaret is $ 50 p/pax. Make the most of your stay. The river ride is very relaxing. The water is cold though. They say that if the weather is cold, the water is warmer, and vice-versa. How curious.

I also asked the attendants (and others) if there had been an accident in Ixcaret recently.

Yes there had been. There was a man that died of cardiac problems. I don't have further details, but no rock fell on top of him, this is for sure.

Ixcaret is very guarded. There are life guards all over, and they are constantly monitoring the river ride.

There is a new attraction, for now, for free. It's an observation tower that slowly decends, and gives you view of the Yucatan area surrounding Ixcaret.

My favorites:
1. Chichen Itza. (guided tour). (climb the pyramide)
2. Ixcaret
3. Cenote Azul (Blue Cenote)
4. Tulum (guided tour.)
5. PDC
6. Cozumel (not fair since I didn't get a real feel of the island.)

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:37 AM
Joanna

Hey Kat,

I am not to big on the tourist places either. We usually only stay one night in Cancun the day before we leave. Anyhow, I think you would like the area of Tulum, drive along the coastal road south of the ruins, there are many interesting hotels along that way. Diamante K comes to mind. You can do this when you visit Coba. Akumal is another neat town, great snorkeling at Yal-Ku, and cool, hip places to have a drink, like La Buena Vida. Stop off at Punta Soliman town, just a few km. south of Xel-Ha, go to the restaurant called Oscar y Lalo's, and ask for Lalo's son Danny, you can go to some pretty amazing and off the beaten track places with him, about $25 pp, with your rental car, and you can drink beers with him, if you are into that. He sometimes hangs out at the shops at Tulum. I have been to the area twice with my boyfriend (we in our early 20's) and his mom, and we have done alot of exploring. As for Cancun, the only place we ever go is to Perico's for dinner. It is is the town of Cancun, any taxi can take you there, its a fun place. Let me know if you have any questions, soon...my boyfreind and I are headed off to Belize next week!

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:16 AM
Kat

Hi Joanna,

I appreciate your responses! And yes, I do have some questions...I hope you don't mind!

1) Is it necessary to rent a car?
2) Have you ever taken the bus and is it fairly reliable?
3) On average, how much did you pay per night at simple hotels with AC?
4) Do you think one could spend $15 a day on food and live well?
5) Did you believe it's OK for a woman to travel alone there?
6) How many times have you been to that area? What time of year did you travel?

I will be going alone, and I hadn't planned on renting a car because I find navigating new places to be stressful on my own. I also don't want the hassle of parking, insurance, etc.

I tend to stay at simple clean places with A/C when i choose a hotel. I don't like resorts or fancy places because I think simpler family-run ones give you more of the feel of locals. I'd planned to spend about $40 a night on accommodations and $15 a day on food.

I'm most grateful for the tips you gave and will use some of them. I hear Belize is beautiful--my brother went there for scuba-diving and had a blast about 2 years ago!

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:34 PM
Joanna

Hey Kat, I am busy now, but I will send you an email later.

Joanna

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:55 PM
//````

You took the time to response. Why don't we just finish it. What the hell. I don't understand. Okay I have to go I, am to busy to resond right now. Peace Out Love Ya, Whatever

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Joanna

Sorry I was in a hurry on Friday....

1) Is it necessary to rent a car?

No, there are buses that run up and down the coast as well as inland to the ruins. I hear they are clean, safe and cheap.

2) Have you ever taken the bus and is it fairly reliable?

No, see above

3) On average, how much did you pay per night at simple hotels with AC?

I always stayed at a resort with a friends timeshare. But the Diamante K hotel in Tulum ranges from $10-80 a night. No A/C though. Very backpacker, young, friendly place. You should be able to find similar. In Cancun, there is a place called Dos Playas, right on the beach for about $40 night w/ ac.

4) Do you think one could spend $15 a day on food and live well?

Prices for most meals are the same as the US. Drinks are sometimes expensive. Bring some granola bars and snacks with you to save on costs.

5) Did you believe it's OK for a woman to travel alone there?

As long as you use caution. Don't walk around at night! I have heard of rapes in these areas. We hung out with a single traveler one day, she had a vacation similar to your plan. She did fine.

6) How many times have you been to that area? What time of year did you travel?

2 times, both in the late summer. No worries about hurricanes.
And sometimes is does rain, but only for a short time.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:46 AM
Kat

Thanks a bunch for your help Joanna! I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions, especially when I'm sure you have better things to do.

Have a great trip to Belize with your boyfriend!