Cancun day trips and tours Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some day trips and tours people have taken they really enjoy and how much per person are they? Have been searching but most information rarely lists the actual costs of these trips? We will be in Cancun 5 nights are are thinking of at least one day trip.

One caveat for us is -- we tend to get very motion sick on boats in the ocean, so if the water tends to be a bit rough it's a long day for us! We do like to snorkel though!

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Are you interested in Mayan ruins? If so, one of the best day trips is to Chichen Itza. Most of them take the whole day. You will go by air conditioned bus (typically a modern nice bus) to the ruins, have lunch, then visit the ruins, then return to Cancun late afternoon/early evening. I do not know the current cost but it is not extreme. Your hotel should be able to help you with the trip or search for vendors on line (Gray Line is one that does it, among many).

Another fun outing is go to Isla Mujeres, rent a golf cart and drive around the island. Catch the ferry at the port in downtown Cancun. It is easy to get to the port by bus and back the same way (from the hotel zone). Your hotel can help you figure it out. Or just take a cab to the port but expect that to be a bit pricey.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM
RAC

We were there for six days. Here's what we did:

1st day: arrive and relax on beach.
2nd day: Isla Mujeres (it was all right, but nothing spectacular)
3d day: relax on beach
4th day: Chichen Itza (incredible)
5th day: relax on beach
6th day: Xcaret (great, great experience)

I'd highly, highly recommend both Xcaret and Chichen Itza.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM

The one and only time I was in Cancun we did the trip to Chichen Itza. It was awesome, although with my fear of heights, I still don't know what I was thinking when I climbed that pyramid. Last I heard they weren't allowing people up there any longer. Anyone know if that is true?

Another day we went to Isla Mujeres. The next day we went back to Isla Mujeres. Much more our sort of place than Cancun was. Next trip to Mexico was to Isla. It's a good thing we all don't like the same places.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM

The recommendations are all GREAT! If you don't mind a little sand in your toes,etc. you might bring a bathing suit and towel and sun tan lotion to Isla de Mujeres. I am not sure 2 trips there, since you really have 4+ full days is necessary. Bring insect spray with 50% DEET to the ruins. They say DEET not good for you but when we travel in Asia and South America our immunologist at John Hopkins has told us that 2-3 applications/day,all over, with 50-60% DEET in it will not be harmful used up to 20-25 days but then several days of deep cleaning showers once home. He gives us our yellow fever, typhoid, etc. shots so I suspectt he knows his stuff. Even in Cancun after a rain or in evening a little is adviseable.
Don't bother going down to Tulum for ruins you willhave seen the best within a few hundred miles of Cancun. Unfortunately snorkeling is poor in Cancun. It is far better near Talum but that is 1+ hr. away and it gets crowded by 10-10:30 AM though it is quite good but with 4 days you want to relax for 2 days.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight...does anyone have a price range for any of these?
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:05 AM
RAC

We booked a combo through Grayline Cancun. They have a pretty good deal--both Chichen Itza and Xcaret for $99/person (they don't need to be on consecutive days).

I would not recommend their Isla Mujeres tour, however--it was a cheesy excursion run by Carnival Tours.