Search

Cancun for 50 Year Olds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancun for 50 Year Olds

My husband and I thought all we wanted was a week of relaxation and sunshine, but now that we depart in 4 days, we suddenly want more.
Our priority now is to visit the Mayan ruins at Coba, Chichen Itza, and Tulum. And to see as many cultural and historical things as possible. And to have some unique experiences (like cenote swimming).
My husband refuses to rent a car - as we know NO Spanish whatsoever. So we're left with tours (which is fine with us).
Alltournative Tours seem to be popular, but only suitable to younger athletic types (my husband does not swim and their activities don't look optional). YucaTrek Tours seems perfect (and highly recommended), but won't pick up in Cancun. Wouldn't it be difficult for us to try to get to Playa Del Carmen by 7:30 in the morning?
Anyway, does anyone have experience with Cancun Tours or Mayan Gate Tours? Or have any other reliable tour groups to recommend to 50 year olds? Or is it just better to wait until we get to Cancun and take our chances with tours sold by our hotel?
Oh, and if anyone could also recommend a collectivo company for transfers from the airport, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your help !
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact Edventure Tours. Tell them what you want to do and they will plan out your day and provide you wit a wonderful English speaking driver/tour guide. They are GREAT!!

http://www.edventuretours.com.mx/
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM

We used BestDay to get from the Cancun airport to the ferry terminal to Isla Mujeres. They also do transfers to the hotel zone. Pretty cheap and reliable.

I'd highly recommend spending a day on Isla Mujeres. Beautiful beaches, great inexpensive restaurants, some fun shopping. Renting a golf cart isn't terribly expensive, and there isn't much traffic. Not very far from Cancun, but a world apart. On our one and only trip to Cancun, we ended up spending our free days on Isla.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM

I would skip Isla especially on the weekend.If you go rent a Golf cart to see the Island other wise it is crowded and so are the beaches.Just my opinion.There is a beautiful spot past Garafon park on the Right to have a drink,Ch-Itza is very intersting and I belive it can include swimming,the only thing is be prepared for a very long day.I would choose one set of ruins unless you will be there for ten days or so.Just my opinion.It is much easier to take a tour as they treat everyone extremely well and costs $85.dollars per person including lunch.Where are you staying?I would wait you can always contact the tours when you get there.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:14 AM
KVR

Each riun is going to be a full day trip. That's alot to do in just 4 days. We've been 8 times and still haven't made it to Coba.

We took one of the deluxe tours to Chichen Itza, which was OK. There were 8 greyline type buses containing 50 people each, so the tour was very crowded.

We went to Tulum through playa.info, but leaving out of Playa. Really, that's the only way to go.

From Cancun, you can take the city bus to Playa or take a taxi. It's about an hour drive. We've not done either. We just waited until we decided to actually stay in the Playa area.

Your hotel will have a list of excursions you can buy. Usually, they pair Tulum with Xel-Ha.

Also try a google search for Cancun tours or Cancun excursions. Many operators will come up.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

We're staying at Great Parnassus (km 16.9). I believe the Ruinas Del Rey are at km 17, so we should be able to just walk to them (I'm guessing).

We definitely have to do Chichen Itza. But it seems unless we pay the high price for a private tour, we'll get there by tour bus mid-afternoon in the heat of the day. We haven't found anything better online, so I guess we'll wait and book when we get there.

Schmerl, thanks for the referral for Edventures. They were quick to reply to my email, and will customize a tour around the Tulum area (seemingly without the high cost of a private tour).

I'd still love to do Coba, because you can climb it. Edventures said we could do Tulum and Coba the same day - wouldn't that be too much?

KVR, we'd love to do Coba with playa.info (YucaTreks), but we're concerned with being able to successfully make it to Playa del Carmen by 7:30 in the morning. (oh, and we have a full week in Cancun - leaving here 4 days from now).

It sounds like it is not worth doing Xel-Ha, as my husband is not fond of the water. Nor Xcaret. Should we reconsider either?

It might be nice to get away to Isla Mujueres, to see Playa del Norte, just for the ferry ride and something to do one day.

Also, when we travel, often we hop on a city bus and go until the end of the line (and then come back), just to see what's around. Could that work in Cancun?

And, thanks JeanH, BestDay looks excellent for airport transport.

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM
RAC

Gray Line has two schedules IIRC, an EARLY morning one and a later one so you can see the light show at night.

http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/des...xico/cancun.go
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi RAC,
Unfortunately (?) with the "early" Gray Line Chichen Itza tours, they make a couple of stops and feed you first before you actually get to the ruins. With the Classic and the Plus tours you enter sometime after 1:30pm, and with the Exclusive tour it's after 1:00pm (though people have said there's time wasted hanging around before you enter the grounds, so your entry time is actually even later). And with the evening tour, you get to the ruins around 2:00pm and eat later.

By car or private tour you can start so much earlier in the day, before the worst of the heat.

I wish there was some way to find some other people who might want to split the cost of a private tour.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edventure is VERY reputable and as you said, you won't be on a crowded tour bus. They will make your day very memorable.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:05 AM

If you can do Tulum and Coba in one day I think you should go for it. Many people combine Tulum with Xel-Ha because it's not a full day anyway. It's a facsinatingruin, and the location over the ocean is pretty, but I thought Coba was so much more spectacular! It's set in the jungle, it's so much more native I guess would be my description and yes, you can climb the tall pyramid. We did Coba with Alltounative Tours and the Coba part was actually a small part of the day, so combining Tulum and Coba wouldn't be too much I don't think.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
RAC

Hmmm. I didn't know that the 'early bus' got there so late. We took the late bus so we could see the light show that night.

Gray Line provided excellent service, but the buffet lunch gave me a case of turista (which conveniently flared up on our Xcaret day).
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
KVR

If you can do Tulum and Coba in one day, I would do it. Our Tulum tour we went to 2 cenotes instead to snorkel.

We've been to both Xcaret and Xel-Ha full days. We prefer Xcaret since there is more to see and do just beside the water. Though we really enjoyed the snorkeling and the underground river. There's also a small zoo, butterfly farm, orchid farm, aquarium and some other visual attractions. Stay late and go to the night show. Dinner is offered as an extra option.

Our next trip, we'd love to do the cenote snorkeling with Hidden Worlds, and we would go back to Xcaret.

We stayed 4 nights on Isla Mujeres. It's great for just a day trip. Take the ferry over and rent a golf cart. Takes about half a day to see the entire Island and then stop at one of the many beach resturants/bars. Playa Norte is really nice. It's a much better beach and snorkeling than what you'll find in Cancun.

Also check out AquaWorld. The jet ski/small boat jungle tour is really fun. We did the bench parasail also. DH loved it. Scared me to death.

Yes, you can just hop on the bus in Cancun and ride the line. Get off anywhere you want and jump back on. It's $2.00 US p/p.

Also stop by the La Isla Shopping Mall. There is a small Aquarium and lots of really neat shops. Not just touristy stuff. Eat lunch at Las Margaritas. (that is not the exact correct name) Make sure you pick up coupons at the coupon desk for a free margarita. They are really good.

If you interested we have all our pictures at: http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

Might give you some ideas of things to see and do.