Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

how can you do a day trip to corcovado without staying in drake?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Im almost there! This board has been so helpful. I really want to do a day trip to corcovado, but it seems like all the accomodation in drake bay is really expensive. I want somewhere under 200 a night. There are a few places that are but they look kind of awful and a bit too basic for me. Im fine with not staying there but I want to do a nice full day hike in corcovado. We will be staying near Uvita for a few nights, where I know we can do a dive trip to Cano, but I hear its too far to go to Corcovado from there for the day. So, is there any other way to do this? Somewhere closer we can stay just for a night?
Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:49 AM

You can do a day trip but it will be a very long day traveling for a little time actually in the park. From Dominical/Uvita it'll be around 3 hours one way, maybe more, by car and boat. You'll probably get about 3-4 hours in the park max.

They are some nice areas nearby where you have the chance to see a lot of wildlife. La Merced is about 10 minutes South of Dominical and has day hikes or horseback rides. Also nearby is Hacienda Baru where it's a few bucks, I think it was around $5, to hike their trails all day and enjoy their big deserted beach. That is about 10 minutes North of Dominical. Nauyaca Falls is another great way to spend the day, riding horses, 2 meals and a great waterfall.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
RAC

Have you looked at Jinetes de Osa or Finca Maresia in the Drake area? They get great reviews at Trip Advisor and are both affordable--Finca Maresia is really cheap.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:40 AM

www.lookout-inn.com Carate

very nice right there at

www.corcovado.org
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! This is the most helpful group of people! I dont know how I missed finca maresia, but I just looked into it and it looks really nice and FINALLY something i can afford! I think we are going to stay there. Thank you!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:44 AM

Another suggestion: From Puerto Jimenez either take a taxi or the public collectivo to Carate. Walk 45 minutes down the beach and overnight at La Leona Eco Lodge, enjoy dinner and a sunset here, and then the next morning, hike into Corcovado until about 1 or 2pm, then turn around and hike out.

While some people don't think this is as exciting as boating in from Drake, I can say that if you begin your hike early (6am) and walk slow and quiet you will see amazing animals on the La Leona Trail into Corcovado.

Have the lodge prepare a picnic lunch, and stop by Rio Madrigal for a swim and picnic.

If you are traveling by public collectivo, be sure to leave Rio Madrigal by 1pm so that you have time to hike back to Carate.

I hope this helps,
Pura Vida,
Ballardo Diaz - Jungle Guide - Osa, Corcovado, La Amistad
http://www.facebook.com/jaguarmans.adventures
[email protected]
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM

Cabines Los Caletas looks appealing too. Haven't stayed there but it's on my list.