Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is manuel Antonio, Uvita and Drake Bay too much of the same?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Me again.
I was thinking of Nicoya but looking into it I realized that the only reason I was going to drive all the way out there was for a beautiful beach and it honestly doesnt look too different to the Uvita beaches. Manuel Antonio on the other hand looks like it has the gorgeous beaches for just sitting and relaxing and swimming. I wanted a few days doing that and a few days jungle. I am thinking Manuel Antonio for the beach, then to Oxygen near Uvita for a jungle feel, then to Drake Bay (Finca Maresia- thanks for that rec) for the national park and scuba. My fiance is not a HUGE beach guy though and I think he would prefer Arenal, but I just think that the Uvita area wont quench my beach thirst, since its not the white sand, calm water, lounge in a chair kind of place. And we are going to Drake Bay for him and some adventure.
So, question is, is it too much of the same?
Is Uvita close enough to Manuel Antonio that you can easily go for a day to those beaches and so no need to stay there?
Is Manuel Antonio really tourisy in December and overcrowded?
Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 03:51 AM

www.manuelantoniopark.com gets touristy and the prettiest beaches are inside the park you have to pay to get in.
those outside are not that great...

Uvita has decent not great beaches around Cristal Ballena area

Drakes not much there...good for jungle SCUBA volcanic beaches

www.reservaconchal.com

www.playamontezuma.net

Nicest Nicoya beaches whiter less river run off...

Have fun,
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 08:01 AM

I suggest you skip Drake and instead explore the other side of the Osa Peninsula, around Matapalo, Piro and Carate. It's a different kind of beach, but not necessarily good for swimming due to currents but great for surfing.

Pura Vida,
Ballardo Diaz - Jungle Guide - Osa, Corcovado, La Amistad
http://www.facebook.com/jaguarmans.adventures
[email protected]
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM

I agree with jaguarman. Also, if the main reason you want to go to Montezuma is beaches and you are also going to Uvita/Dominical then yes, you could probably skip it and make a trip to Manuel Antonio Park - beaches are gorgeous. The Montezuma beaches are pretty but some areas are rocky or rough too. plumboy pointed out on another thread there are many pretty beaches around Uvita/Dominical but this doesn't mean they are all swimmable. Many are more suitable for surfing or boogie boarding or have rip tides. I always consider CR more an adventure/wildlife destination than beach even though there are beaches everywhere, if that makes sense!
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM

I agree with how hip sums it up. Costa Rica has tons of beautiful beaches, but your description of "white sand, calm water, lounge in a chair kind of place" makes me think more of vegging on a Carribean island than of Costa Rica. There is absolutely nothing wrong with lazing on a beach, but if you're craving more of a resort type feel with lounge chairs and other amenities readily available, you might find that a bit harder to come by on most CR beaches.

I think you're going to enjoy whatever itinerary you decide on, Manayiotos. It's easy to second guess yourself when you're trying to plan a visit to someplace you've never been before. You've asked about a lot of great places in your posts. I really think you're going to have a terrific time regardless of what you decide. I'd prefer to balance the beach with Arenal, personally, but you have to pick what appeals to you the most. MA, Uvita, and the Osa would be a perfectly lovely itinerary.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

You are so right. I don't know why I have been so indecisive. Thank you for that last post. It was actually very helpful.
I'm ok now!!!!