arghh! new dates! what works?

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arghh! new dates! what works?

we had oringinally solidisied an itinerary, but just recently found 2 friends that wanted to take the trip. It adjusts are dates a bit. my question more time in the other three destinations or just a side excursion? this is the latest of the itinerary

day 1 arrive sjo-xandari
day 2 sjo to arenal
day 3 arenal
day 4 arenal to montezuma
day 5 montezuma
day 6 montezuma
day 7 montezuma to ??
day 8 ??
day 9 manzanillo
day 10 manzanillo
day 11 manzanillo

is this too much time in montezuma? we would like to surf and visit malpais and st. where should we go after montezuma? will tortuguero fit there? should we extend our time in arenal and try to venture towards monteverde, and then just spend the night in/around sj after montezuma and hit the sarapiqui on our way to manzanillo? sorry to seem demanding. by the way we are travelling the first week plus of august.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:27 PM

My recommendation would be to spend day 7 returning to airport area from Montezuma, stay in Alajuela at Las Orquideas or similar place where you can enjoy the bar and relax in the evening. Next morning, Day 8, get up early, have that wonderful Las Orq breakfat, drive to Poas by 8:00, on toward Sarapiqui, stopping at the La Paz fall that is roadside, traveling on to Sarapiqui (this is a loop up north of San Jose). Then down from Sarapiqui region to Guapiles, and on to Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. Full day of driving, but you'll see this great loop of country! Just spend day 8 driving the long way to Manzanillo and enjoying the sights along the way!
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

do you think 3N is too much in montezuma? would we better off returning a day earlier and seeing another area, maybe a rafting trip? do you think we should hit the cloud forest in monteverde, by pushing one more day in the north?
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:32 AM

I'd definitely not cut a day from Montezuma. You only have 2 full days there! It takes too long to get in and out of there to stay less time.
There is plenty to do, including visiting Malpais & Sta. Teresa beaches, hiking Cabo Blanco Reserve (start early in the day, take WATER, closed Mon & Tues), hiking to the falls (you could easily spend a good part of the day enjoying this area). You'll want some time to just relax and do nothing as well. 3 days is good. Don't try to work in another location. You already have an excellent plan!

I am so glad you are going to Manzanillo--you'll love it there, very different! There are more activities to do in that area than are at first obvious!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 08:25 AM

3 nights is certainly not too much for Montezuma. We were there 4 nights and it was just perfect.

Also, you may want to take the Tortuga Snorkeling trip. It is an all day trip, starting in the morning to the snorkeling area, then onto Tortuga for grilled fresh fish lunch with veggies, soft drinks, beer, fruit. Great day. $40 pp with Cocozuma Traveler. CT was the only tour operator at the time we were there that had a covered boat. Check this out because it is a long day in the sun. Also, operators only do this trip when the wind is low and weather good, so if you are interested, check into it early in your stay.

Also we enjoyed a good horseback tour, lasted about 4 hours.

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

dfarmer

are there any scuba areas nearby? we have friends that want to scuba. i suggested osa, but i don't think the travelling time will work in with the rest of the trip. can you suggest somewhere near montezuma/malpais/st?