?? about Santa Teresa/Malpais - Tours and Things to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the time is nearing for the girls to be leaving. And they are getting very excited.

They have being following this board for several months, but are having a terrible time getting registered with Fodor's and asked me to post a few questions. As we know Fodor's sometimes can be contrary.

They would like to do the snorkeling trip to Tortuga Island that we did last year while we were staying in Montezuma. Is this offered anywhere in ST/Mal or will they need to get a ride to Montezuma?

They have read about horseback riding into Cabo Blanco. Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestions for this? Or would they be better off to hike the park and horseback ride on the beach at ST?

It seems that Frank's Place is the hub of info in ST/Mal. So at Franks, will they be able to get tour info and find companies for day trips?

Does anyone have specific company recommendations for day trips from ST?

They also want to spend at least a day at Montezuma. Do they need to rely on the hotel for arranging transportation? Or does someone have a favorite driver/company? Or are there just taxis?

What about recommendations for beginning surf lessons?

And we recently ran into people that had rented bicycles for getting around in ST/Mal, these girls are in their early 20's, what do you think?

And favorite, less expensive restaurant recommendations?

BTW they are staying at Tropico Latino for a week. They do want to spend a big chunk of this time just lazing on the beach.

Thanks in advance,
Donna
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:03 AM

There are several places now offering trips to tortuga from the Mal Pais area.Since they are staying at Tropico Latino they will be able to get all the info from there.I don't think they need to book ahead.For going to Montezuma they might wantto rent a cuadricicle for the day...usually costs about $60.00.It's actually only about 10 kilometers to Montezuma and a nice ride through the jungle. For surf lessons I recommend David at the surf shop in front of Tabu.Don't know about the horseback riding in Cabo Blanco but there are several people that offer sunset horseback rides on the beach.Bicycles are a good way to get around.For eating, there are tons of new restaurants this season...I'm sure they can get any other info when they get there...As you know it's a very friendly place!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Donna,
I hope the girls have a great time! Horseback riding at Cabo Blanco doesn't sound possible. We've hiked it, and the trails are not designed for horses--only us 2 legged folk. They'll see what I mean when they get there. Frank's Place definitely the place to arrange everything.

The girls might be more comfortable with a taxi from Sta Teresa to Montezuma, I'm thinking, especially if they want to stay until after dark and have dinner or dance somewhere. It took us about 45 minutes one way, through Cobano. We returned to MalPais by another road when we came out of Cabo Blanco, but it was a nightmare and we felt lucky to make it back okay. EXTREMELY rough, one lane road--not flat!

Not sure how much time they have, but if they go the the falls at Montezuma one day, that is a good day trip. If they go to Cabo Blanco, that is another day trip. CB takes almost an entire day--at least 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. until about 2:00. It's a 2 hour hike each way to the beach. Cabo Blanco is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. These 2 trips along with lots of beach and relax time will probably do them. Especially if they are going to spend some time with surfing lessons. Wish them well for me!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Forgot to mention, Charlie's is a place we enjoyed a couple of meals. If they want to splurge on great food and superb service (and get rid of all the money that is weighing them down) they might have dinner one evening at Flor Blanca!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 10:39 AM

dfarmer, maybe your daughter was referring to El Ancha de Oro in Cabuya, south of Montezuma. It is in a wooded setting. They have horse riding and it is close enough to the park. They also have a nice restaurant - the lobster with garlic butter was good. They had a two day package for under $60 that was a good value.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! This will all be very helpful to the girls.

Shillmac, I totally agree on the taxi to Montezuma! You know me. Oh! And I have a feeling that money is not going to be weighing them down! LOL

Spin - did a quick web search for El Ancha - do you have any other info? web address?

Surfexec - good to know, thanks so much.