hotels in Isla Mujeres help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering whether to stay at Na Balaam or Cabanas Maria del Mar. Any thoughts on either of these? I am so excited about go to Isla Mujeres, I can't pull myself away from the websites and the books!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:04 AM

We stayed in the Cabanas Maria del Mar last year. It was very clean and suited us just fine BUT it is pretty basic by North American standards. When we went (in July), it was MUCH less expensive that Na Balaam. Can't give you any opinions on Na Balaam as I haven't seen their rooms!

HTH
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LisainCalgary, I think we are going with Na Balaam (I am intrigued by the free yoga every morning)and a coworker of mine was there last year. How did you get to IM. Is it easy to catch a cab from the Cancun airport to the port to catch the ferry? Is it expensive?
Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM

The easiest way to get there is to take a taxi to the ferry docks, then catch the ferry across.

The ferry is about 35 pesos each way.

If you're on the hotel strip, there are buses that will take you all the way to the ferry docks for 6 pesos --- just look for the R1 bus that says Isla Mujeres on it.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:36 AM

You will love NaBalam. Check out my trip report, we stayed there in January.

Not sure about the free yoga every morning...certainly didn't see any mention of that when we were there.

When are you going?

Have a blast!
Kristy
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Someone asked, "Is it easy to catch a cab from the Cancun airport to the port to catch the ferry? Is it expensive?"

Easy? Yes. Just buy a tacket around the baggage area. but private cab is expensive--around $41 to Puerto Juarez last time we did it. The Taxi syndicate has things really sewn up at the AP. You can take a shuttle for $12 a person. It will stop at various hotels to let off people before PJ, so it could take some time. Shuttle tickets also at ticket booths there. for one or two poeple, you might want the shuttle (combi). For 3 or 4, might as well take a private cab.

Norm
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:36 AM

For a direct trip to Pt Juarez, where you catch the ferry, I would suggest Cancun Valet. For about $35 you have a private van and a hassle free trip with no stops. Plus they will help with your luggage exiting the airport and at Pt Juarez. See cancunvalet.com for info. I have used them several times with no hassle. Good luck!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:35 AM

I just succeded in getting a 100 Euro ticket from Munich to Cancun, departing Thursday.
I dont want to spend too much on a hotel and would prefer an appartment for one week. Can "Villas Punta Sur" be recommended? I am looking for something around 35 USD/ night. Please help, I have no idea where the best place to stay would be on Isla Mujeres..
THANKS!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Just got back from our first trip (yesterday). Stayed at Cabanas Maria del Mar and loved it. For your first trip, I highly recommend staying somewhere in the downtown area. It's a long trip into town whenever you want to eat or hit a beach bar or anything. You can probably find decently priced lodging downtown if you don't stay right on the beach. Check out www.islamujeres.info for downtown options.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Thanks Brian,
from what I have read on the Internet Isla Mujeres is a lot nicer and less expensive than the "hotel zone" in Cancun. Would the 35$ rooms be equivalent to what I would get anywhere in southern Europe or are prices a lot higher in Mexico?
I would also like to buy some clothes in Cancun. Can it be recommended or is everything more expensive than in the US? For excample, I cant get any decent shoes in Western Europe under 100 Euros a pair, would Cancun be an alternative?