Hotel Del Rey in San Jose???

Mar 13th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Del Rey in San Jose???

Does anybody have any experience with Hotel Del Rey in San Jose? Since it's so busy when we'll be in San Jose, it was very hard to find an available room anywhere. I tried all the recommended hotels such as Orquideas Inn, Grano de Oro, etc...but they were all booked! Hotel Del Rey has availability. Any experience with them??? Thank you!
Mar 13th, 2004, 10:49 AM

The Del Rey is a well known fisherman/guy hotel. It has prostitutes frequenting there because of the guys. Have not heard of any problems as far as cleanliness. I have only seen it from the outside.
Have you tried Dunn Inn, Hemingway, Holiday Inn Aurola. Gran Hotel is right downtown so might be noisy but have heard decent reports. Hotel Buena Vista is further out but nice.
Mar 13th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Prostitutes? Maybe I'll try some of those other hotels you mentioned. I think I can cancel my reservation without penalty up until 48 hours before our arrival.
Mar 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Dunn in and Hemingway are in the Barrio Amon district of downtown San Jose which is the historic area with lovely old buildings. The extremely popular Hotel Don Carlos is also there.
the Holiday Inn Aurola is just a few blocks from there and as mentioned the Gran Hotel is right in the middle of everything. They have a fun sidewalk cafe that I love to sit at and people watch.
Hotel Buena Vista is further out in the mountains but Hotel Bougainvilla is closer and is a very pretty close but not right in San Jose.
Mar 13th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Suzie2! Hotel Don Carlos is full. I tried calling The Gran Hotel, but they told me to call back in about half an hour.

Have you heard of Hotel Kekoldi? I found it online. Any experience?
Mar 13th, 2004, 08:46 PM

Haven't heard anything about that one.
Mar 25th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Hi Jose,
Good to see you here. You have been mentioned once or twice.
I enjoy reading your responses on John Howells site and from that I have recommended you several times on several different boards.
Mar 25th, 2004, 03:01 PM

I looked at the Kekoldi last week when we were there and taking a walk (from the outside). It is in a decent part of town. Also walked past the Hotel Dunn. . .it has a great rep for low prices (abour $34 per night). We always stay at the Don Carlos. The Del Ray has never appealed to us. If I were in your shoes, I would check out 1. Hotel Dunn 2. Hemingway 3. Kekoldi