hotel costa verde ??'s

Apr 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

hotel costa verde ??'s

HI

We are staying three nights here in July and in the confirmation it says that I need to send a check for payment by mail. I emailed them to see if we could pay by credit card instead and the reply that I got was that they do not accept credit cards as payment. This makes me a little nervous mailing a large check to Costa Rica, as I have never had/heard of a hotel that did this. Has this been anyone else's experience and is this normal?? Thanks in advance.
Apr 9th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Is the address in Costa Rica or a Miami address? We've mailed checks before and never had a problem. The hotels we have used have always confirmed immediately their receipt of our payment.
Apr 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,

This is the address that they sent me:
MAIL CHECK TO:
JOSE RODOLFO MUNOZ
COSTA VERDE SJO 1313
P.O. BOX 025216
MIAMI, FL 33102-5216

So I guess it does go to Miami, didn't notice it before, I was just thrown off by the whole check mailing thing. So this is normal then??

Apr 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM

I just sent them a check about 10 days ago, just got my confirmation e-mail that they had rec'd it. It is a common practive for many hotels in CR (I had to pay 1/2 of my stay at Bosque del Cabo as well). Last year they took my CC to hold the room & I paid when I left but that was less than a month before arrival.
Apr 9th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much you guys. After travelling a lot in Europe, I had never sent a check anywhere, so was just a little leary about it. But obviously this isn't Europe so that's how it goes. Guess I will get that check out this week then. Thanks again for the help, I feel a lot better now.
Apr 9th, 2005, 07:42 PM
koa

I was also kinda worried when I sent a check to Costa Verde, but there were no problems. What building are you staying in Costa Verde? Not all the buildings are created equal there. We stayed at the lower building(Forgot the name) the parking was real tight down there and you had to hike some steep stairs to get around. I did enjoy Costa Verde, especially the squirrel monkeys that come around the restaraunt around 400 to 500 pm!
Apr 9th, 2005, 07:44 PM
LvL

We just got back from Costa Rica. We also stayed at Costa Verde and had the same concerns as you. But we sent the bank draft to them and everything went smoothly--our room was confirmed and ready for us when we arrived. So I don't think you need to worry.
Apr 10th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Koa , you must have been in an efficiency room in D- Unit ??? Great spot for the price ..... Those steps were indeed steep before the A.M. coffee , more incentive to get up to Anaconda !!!! Faith
Apr 10th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Are you referring to Costa Verde in Manuel Antonio? If so, when I asked them if I could pay by credit card, they said yes and sent me a credit card authorization form that I faxed back to them. I then received a confirmation that they received the form and the room was confirmed. Perhaps because I rented the villa?
Apr 10th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

We are actually staying at the Costa Verde II, not sure which building though? Just picked it by the website. I think that I will send the check and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Apr 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
MNP

We were also able to do a credit card authorization by fax. However like laurieco we also stayed in one of the villas.
We really enjoyed Costa Verde, I hope you do also!!! The breakfast at Anaconda are so pleasent in the big rocking chairs and the big fat pancakes are fantastic!! Have fun!
Apr 10th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Costa Verde 2 is only one building , an easy walk to the restaurant , no stairs involved ..... SUPER views !!!
Apr 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM

lvnmt, sorry to hijack your post, but wanted to ask Faithie about the lost engagement ring--que horible! You mean it was lost in the ocean? Was it huge? What a bummer for such a magnificent start. . . .have they returned home yet? 64 questions. . .sorry!
Apr 10th, 2005, 03:59 PM

We had no problem with sending the check to Miami, after faxing Costa Verde a copy of the check. Within a week or 2, we got our confirmation via e-mail. Once there, we only had to pay for the charges incurred during our stay-OK to pu on a credit card. We had a great time. Don't miss the monkeys at the Anaconda just before sunset! However, I think the views of the sunset are better at Costa Verde 2! Enjoy.
Apr 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Hi Shillmac , They arrived home Friday night really late . She lost the ring in the ocean at Biesanz about 3 days after recieving it ! Heartbroken , guiltridden , etc. etc. She called me 3x from down there !!! It was a beautiful designer ring ,with tons of sunscreen on , in the water for a long time , toppled by a wave , came up and " GONE " !!! They went shopping first thing yesterday here in Montreal , and he bought another beauty ( we met them at a coffee shop ) ..... Biesanz was an expensive beach afterall !!! Its all o.k. now , he did his best to convince her " C'est La Vie !" ( thats life ! ) They enjoyed the trip , loved Costa Rica , and will return , probably the Osa area .... Although they thought M.A. very beautiful , the park itself was VERY crowded .... Love is still in the air !!! Bummer though , she said she felt soooo bad she could not return to Biesanz for a couple of days , I would have been sifting through that sand STILL ! LOL .... One of those chickens has a shiny / sparkly thing in its belly ! Ha ! They really loved the people at Didis B&B , truly a great place for the money ... Faith
Apr 11th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Hi- Just wanted to let you know that we made a reservation online for an efficiency for 3 nights at the end of May. They emailed me a confirmation form/credit card authorization form which I filled out and faxed back. They also emailed me back to let me know that they received my credit card authorization form and confirmed the reservation. I agree the thought of sending a check to a PO Box in Miami makes me a little nervous. I don't see why they can't send you the credit card authorization form. Good luck. We can't wait for our trip next month!
Apr 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM

I seem to recall that the efficiencies are run a little differently than the hotel. Not sure, but maybe that is why they accept credit cards for them. I had no problem sending the check. Good luck!
Apr 13th, 2005, 08:27 PM

lvnmt:

We also stayed in the Costa Verde II. It's billed as an adults-only building but they said our teens aged 14 and 16 were fine, and indeed they were. Be sure to request a full ocean view. We were in room #3 overlooking the pool and the Pacific with a great terrace - best hotel room view I've ever had and at a very reasonable price. A very spacious room w/ a real CR flavor, and comfortable beds and ceiling fans. It even included a kitchen area. But no AC.

As it was their 'summer' it was quite warm and muggy. I wouldn't have been able to sleep without the fan's over the beds! I imagine July weather will be a bit less warm. Note: we have all windows on two sides, screened with wooden bars, but know way to close them. We all wondered what they do in a torential rain!

Enjoy!
Apr 13th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Sorry for the spelling errors... and yes, we prepaid the whole thing by check. I thought perhaps this is because we went over spring break which is high season. All our hotels, but one, required full prepayment - for the others I had to fax a credit card authorization. I too thought it weird to mail a check, but it worked out fine!