Search

One day in Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Mexico City

I unfortunatley only have one day in this fab city, and have narrowed it down to the Kahlo museum and the temple Mayor. How far are they apart. I will have a car, so I am not worried about cabs or subway
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Yikes. Are you sure you want to drive in Mexico City? It's really not a good idea. Are you fluent in Spanish?

The Templo Mayor is in the very center of the city, right near the zocalo.

Frida's house is in Coyoacan, a "suburb" that is easily accessible by subway.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:31 PM

My concerns are the same---out of all of my excursions in D.F., I would NOT recommend driving there. Tambien...how's your Spanish? Last spring, we met old friends in Mexico City....I discouraged them from getting a rental car, but they had their minds set....they were involved in an accident, and everything that went along with it. Is this your first visit to Mexico City? (I don't mean to sound condescending----I'd just hate for you not to be able to enjoy your experience, in the case of regret). Sounds like this is a stopping point; what other cities are on your schedule?
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Marilyn--Oaxaca website is incredible. You've inspired us to make a journey this summer. Stunning---so captivating.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:28 PM

Thanks, talavera! I bet that was a nightmare for your friends.

ellene, just so you know, we have driven all over Mexico with friends from Texas who drove down in their own car, and we wouldn't hesitate to rent a car in most other places. But I have no desire to drive in DF again.

It is not just the hassle of driving, but in Mexico City the police have the habit of pulling over tourists for the slightest infraction, and then expecting a bribe. It's a small form of extortion, the mordita.

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

I have access to a car and drive(should have been more specific), who is well versed in the city. I will be staying in Cuernavaca, and driving in for the day. From what I can see, Frida Kahlo's home is on the way into town. My travelling companion wanted to do some arts and crafts shopping as well, and I understand that takes place in the town center, closer to where the Temple Mayor is.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:55 AM

OH! Well, that's different!

Yes, I think Coyoacan is more or less on your way. There is also a market on Saturday mornings (I think it's Sat) in San Angel that has a lot of arts and crafts.

That sort of shopping, however, can be done all over the city. You might be able to get some tips when you're there, or start another thread about where to buy arts and crafts in DF and I'm sure you'll get some info.

Have a great time!

PS My personal favorite public art in Mexico City is Diego Rivera's murals at the Ministry of Public Education. It's right near the Templo Mayor, if you have an extra hour.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Estoy de acuerdo. If this is your 1st time to D.F., you may want to take the extra time to see Chapultepec Castle---and stroll in the park (during daylight, of course). Also---Anthropology Museum---quite large, though. The Templo Mayor is located off of the zocalo, and TM museum admission was very inexpensive. A/C inside, and reasonable bathrooms (clean, anyway). When inside, be sure to step-out into the beautiful adjacent garden (tranquil, with a courtyard-type setting). Also, in the zocalo, you might as well visit the National Palace (picture ID required for foreigner entry): more murals inside, stunning architecture. I have digital photos from last year, should you be interested: feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected].
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:54 PM

Hi, I was going to say the same DO NOT Drive but under the circunstances and having a good driver it is different. Do not try to do too much, however the Templo Mayor and the Cathedral and the Palace all next to each other are some kind of a must.
THe museum Kahlo is interesting and cozy and if it is in your way is a good choice. The rest of the day try to drive around and get a feeling of this huge city FULL of people.