Help with short Mexico City Itinerary

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with short Mexico City Itinerary

We have a short stopover in Mexico City and would like some suggestions for must see places. We'll get into the airport at 7:30 at night, on a Friday, have all day Saturday and Sunday, and then have a 2pm flight back to NYC on Monday. I've seen the New York Times' 36 Hours article, but was hoping for some alternative itineraries. I know I'm interested in the National Museum of Anthropology and the Templo Mayor, Teotihuacan (outside the city), and the Frida Kahlo museum. How long should each of these take, and for Teotihuacan, any suggestions on drivers/tour guides? How much should it cost? Also, I think we're staying in the Condesa district . . .
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM

With a 7:30 arrival it will be 9PM or later by the time you get to your hotel, so not much time for more than a late diner.
Saturday I'd suggest an early departure to Teotihuacan (get there early to avoid crowds) where you can spend the morning. Maybe have a snack but wait to get back to the city for lunch. (Your driver may try to steer you to one of the restos just outside the grounds, but just clearly tell hum that you do not want to stop for anything more than a beverage and a quick snack.) You will probably want to freshen up in your room, then enjoy lunch. In San Angel (not far from Frida's) there will be the Bazaar de Sabado with artists lining the walkways of the plaza and several restaurants around the periphery - good option for lunch. After lunch, a visit to Frida's studio can be done in an hour. If you have energy left, head to Templo Mayor. If not, save it for Sunday morning. You could spend most of a day at the Anthropological Museum, which is why I would reserve it for Sunday after a leisurely breakfast. Take your time and stroll through. Consider a visit to Coayacan where there is a historic cathedral as well as stalls with vendors selling touristy schlock that is fun to see.
Many places will be closed on Monday so don't plan on much that day. Besides, if your flight is at 2PM you should count on being at the airport no later than noon. This is a place where you really do need to be there at least two hours ahead of time - and a bit more may even be advisable. Improvements in the urban highway system (pereferico) have shortened transit time to the airport but it is still very possible to get hung up in traffic, so allow an hour to be safe.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Perhaps we can just walk around the Condesa district on Monday morning. Do you have any recommendations for a driver for Teotihuacan and should we be looking for a driver/guide combo, or just driver?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Sorry but I have never hired a driver there as I visit family. You might check with your concierge, and be very clear that you want to avoid the typical redirection to trinket shops and cafes.
BTW if you would like a nice dinner in a lovely environment try the San Angel Inn. If you would like to sample contemporary Mexican food, La Valentina is a good choice. Again, check with your concierge about reservations.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

We've decided to stay in the Condesa district. I'm wondering if the following itinerary is doable:

Friday night: straight to Condesa - walk around area/dinner here or perhaps Roma?

Saturday: taxi to Teotihuacan to be there at sunrise, taxi back to hotel to change/freshen up. Taxi to the Dolores Olmeda Museum (in Xochimilco)/lunch in that area, taxi to Coyoacán for the Frida Kahlo Museum (it's open until 10pm). Dinner in the area.

Sunday: morning - Anthropology Museum, Chapultepec Park, and perhaps Rufino Tamayo Museum; afternoon - lunch at El Cardenal? - Zocalo area (probably will skip the Templo Mayor b/c of seeing Teotihuacan, but suggestions for particular sites would be great); night - dinner in Condesa or other area - thinking maybe the restaurant at Condesa DF since it's open late on Sundays?

Monday: morning - check out of hotel and taxi to Casa Luis Barragán (hopefully for tour), taxi to airport

I'm quite interested in modern art/architecture, which should help explain some of my perhaps less conventional picks, but any help with this itinerary would be great!

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 06:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The ruins of Teotihuacan open at seven, according to my slightly out of date guidebook.

The Templo Mayor and its museum have more in common with the Anthropology museum than Teotihuacan. I would still recommend seeing it if you can. Also, visit the National Palace to see the Diego Rivera murals.

Note that many of the Frieda Kahlo paintings at the Olmeda museum are on tour just now.

Even a cursory look at the Anthropology Museum will take up two or three hours.

I think you will have a very full two days!

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

with the Kahlo paintings on tour, is it still worth a trip to the Olmeda Museum? The grounds themselves sounded amazing . . .
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Can't say. Last time I was in MC I attended the Kahlo exhibit at Belles Artes and noticed that many of the paintings had been lent by the Olmeda museum. The paintings are now on tour. I don't know how many remain at the museum.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to Teotihuacan for sunrise? I've heard that it's really nice b/c it's not crowded, but I don't want to be closed out . . .
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

How far is the Condesa district from the airport/how long will the cab ride take?