best day to visit San Angel and Coyoacan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is the better day to visit San Angel and Coyoacan neighborhoods in Mexico City - Saturday or Sunday? (or is there a better day during the week?)
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:36 AM

Saturday.
Don't miss the Bazaar Sabado. Much fun and much shopping.

There are some great little restaurants in the area too. One in particular, right at the main square in Coyoacan, had an oustanding breakfast. I think it is Fonda El Morral, just north of Jardin Hidalgo in Coayacan. Its been there many years, is well known and has many blue and white tiles throughout the restaurant and had two women near the entrance making fresh tortillaas. Informal. They had one of the best Mexican bkfsts I had anywhere in Mexico. The sauces on the eggs were great.
Have fun.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Where does the bazaar take place?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM

If you tell the taxi to take you to El Bazar Sabado, in San Angel, they will know exactly where it is. It is a good fifteen min taxi ride from the Zocalo. Taxis are cheap. As far as where the "fair" itself is, it is both on the streets, in a little park there and also in a large old building that has many areas full of mostly upscale shops and other vendors selling well made and very attractive handicrafts - silver, jewelry, paintings, dolls, pottery, etc. The vendors "inside" seemed to have beter items than those outside. The fair is worth the short trip.

You can also have a taxi take you right to the Jardin Hidalgo, and the "fair" is really right there. On your return to wherever you are going there are a number of "Sitio" taxi sites right there.

Also, if you have the time, don't miss a trip to the pyramids at Teotihuacan. Very memorable and worthwhile.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

Are the musuems in Mexico City closed on Monday as they are in many big cities?

tengohambre:

I definitely plan to visit Teotihuacan.

We have 5+ days in Mexico City. I guess we'll go to San Angel and Coyoacan on Saturday. Is there a recommendation for Sunday?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I am pretty sure, though not positive, that on Sundays museums in Mexico City are free for locals. Thus, they might be packed that day. I'm not sure whether they are closed on Mondays.

Yet, I think we toured Chapultapec Park for awhile on a Sunday and, though crowded, we had a great time. The Anthropology Museum is world class. If you are into museums you can easily spend an entire day there, or more. The tour of the Castle (it is a museum and former residence) close to the entrance to the park is also terrific.

You should also devote a half day or so to touring the Zocalo and the huge, incredible Cathedral there, along with the other buildings there, like the Post Office. Don't miss that. And, try to get a guide, if possible.

For Sunday, perhaps you can go for a leisurely bkfst first. I recommend Cafe Tacuba, a few blocks from the Zocalo. Although it is well known to tourists, it is still packed with locals. It is a 500 year old converted convent with beautiful painted walls and high ceilings. It is a lot of fun and the food was very good. The serve a very famous cafe con leche that was outstanding. Have your concierge make you a reservation. They get packed.

Alternatively, or in addition, El Cardenal, a block or so off of the Zocalo is also outstanding. Located in a few hundred year old building the place is beautiful and has terrific food. It is very atmospheric and reminiscent of Old Mexico. It is also well known and is more upscale than Cafe Tacuba. El Cardenal is great for a late lunch anyday. There is also another El Cardenal in the Sheraton Historico which, although located in a hotel, set off the lobby, it is a local hangout, is very pretty and is also highly recommended.

Also, if you think you have the time, you can take a one day easy trip to Puebla, about 90 mins or so from Mex City. The downtown is very colonial and has some of the best food in Mexico. There are frequent, fast and good buses that run to Puebla from Mex City throughout the day.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hambre,

You've mentioned Cafe Tacuba for breakfast. Is it good for lunch as well?

We definitely plan to visit Puebla.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM

At Cafe Tacuba I'm not sure if the menu even changes that much from bkfst to lunch. Certainly, people were eating enchiladas suizas and the like at about noon which, for us, was a late bkfst early lunch. As you know, in DF, lunch can be at 3 or 4 o'clock. It will be fun and good whenever you go.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM

how late does the saturday market in coyoacan run?