excursions from mexico city?

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excursions from mexico city?

we will be in mexico city at end of october. we plan 2 nights in puebla, and a day-trip to the pyramids at teotihuacan. can anyone recommend another day-trip? we love scenery, mountains, old towns, churches..........
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:23 AM

i would def. recommend a trip to taxco, about 2.5 hrs away, up in the mountains, where the silver mines are, a beautiful colonial town, all in white, lovely churches, views, little shops, good restaurants and a lovely feeling to the place. A really lovely ride there too. Bit of a curvy road so if go by bus try to sit near the front! You could stay there a night, perhaps take in cuernavaca on the way ( i prefer taxco though ) or even malinalco, depends on how into arqueology you are ! Have fun, you'll want to go back, there is SO much to do nearby. In Puebla you must try the mole, a spicy dish, but have the chocolate one with chicken, amazing and nicer than sounds.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM

I think Taxco is a good recommendation but a bit far as you would traveling almost 6 hours. How about Tepotzlan, mountains, church, museum scenery. If I was going to do a day trip I would bus to Cuernavaca, check out the downtown, see the Robert Brady house in particular, taxi to Tepotzlan- check it out, then back to Cuernavaca and a bus back to D.F. You can take a first class bus from Tasquena (the southern terminal in el D.F.) to La Selva bus station in Cuernavaca in a bit more than an hour.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Xochimilco is close via a taxi ride. It is remnants of gone by days on a waterway. But still fun to ride the boats and stroll their market. I bought a lovely table cloth there. I enjoyed the Trotsky House and Frida Kahlo Museums which I think were in the colonial town of Coyoacon, but it may be that is just an extension of Mexico City.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM

hi, see if you can spend a night in Taxco, it's worth it, and then onway back you could do cuernavaca and tepotzlan. there is a small arqueological site at the top of the mountains beside tepotzlan, quite a climb but amazing views.
Xochimilco is right in the south of mexico city, can get there by taxi, prob easiest option. the boat trips are nice, especially colorful at weekends when there are various sellers-food, flowers etc. Coyoacan is towards the south, you can go by metro to coyoacan and viveiros and catch taxi, or to general anaya and catch taxi, about 10 min away. Once again especially lively at weekends, nice old churches, and other colonial buildings. San Angel next to coyoacan is also nice.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

thank you,all for your replies! i am researching taxco now, because if we go, it w/b an overnight. all the other recommendations are day-trips.