Best fare to Oaxaca in August from MA or NH

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Beethoven

Best fare to Oaxaca in August from MA or NH

FAmily of 3 going to Oaxaca in August. Any best airline for price? How much do we save by taking bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca?

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We took the bus and loved it. Saved a lot. You can buy your bus tickets by phone from the US and have your reserved seat.
In MExico there are several different bus services( like four different classes). We took the UNO service which is the best. It was very good. Took six hours. Bus has fewer seats than a regular bus, only three abreat, two bathrooms , one bar with free sodas, water etc., blankets. It is a fine service and I would recommend it. It also has own VIP waiting rooms in the large bus station. Own rest rooms etc. and free coffee plus newspapers. We got a good rate flying into Mexico City in Orbitz and as I said saved a lot.
From the airport we took a taxi to a hotel in MExico City, if you do so be sure to take the taxis that sell a voucher from a booth at the airport, the good guys have a little plane picture in the door.
Spend a day in MExico City and next morning took a taxi to the bus station which is not far. Arrived in Oaxaca aprox at MExican lunch time. Bought a few sandwiches for the trip. Good luck.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:06 PM

Hi Beethoven, I though of a better way for you, you can take a bus
Estrella Roja ( also clase ejecutiva service), from MExico 's airport
direct to Puebla ( 2 hours), spend there a day or more. It is lovely. I recommend the Hotel Colonial and then take the bus to Oaxaca (4 hours). We stayed in Puebla on our way back.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 12:42 PM

The first class busses are really fine if you are going from point to point, but with three, if you want to see a bit more of the country, a rental car is an alternative. I live in San Miguel de Allende a few months a year and mostly do the very reasonable public transportation.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 05:34 AM

You are already getting late for good airfares, I have seen the prices going up quite a bit so I would go get on it now. If you have a departure city near you that is served my Mexicana or Aeromexico it might be worth a drive to save a lot. I drive everal hours from Arkansas to either Houston or Dallas and save $300-$400.00 on average flying on Aeromexico. I have priced flights just from Mexico City to Oaxaca and have seen them in the $150-$300.00 range. Although this is a short flight it is often more expensive than flying from Dallas to MEX. Unless you get a very good fare you will save substantilly busing from Mexico City. The advice regarding buses is good. Any first class will do, UNO is definateley the top of the line.