Guadalajara to Oaxaca - bus or plane?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Wendy

Guadalajara to Oaxaca - bus or plane?

What's the best way of getting from Guadalajara to Oaxaca? Is there a direct bus route (and how long does it take)? Is it much more expensive to fly?<BR><BR>Had originally intended to rent a car - but been put off by expense and potential dangers...

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:48 PM
D

Its a lot cheaper to take a bus. I have traveled widely in Mexico on buses and have had favorable experiences. I would take the highest level of service you can find, i.e. Premier Clase, Ejecutivo, or De Lujo. You will probably have to bus to Mexico City then change. I would recommend any first class line in the Estrella Blanca group to Mexico City then switch to &quot;Uno&quot; for the trip to Oaxaca unless you can find a better route. Also go to the bus station or travel agency that issues bus tickets in advance to buy your ticket and guarantee a seat. I think you will have a favorable experience. A guidebook like &quot;Lonley Planet&quot; gives reasonably acurate information about buses in Mexico. Have a good trip. Also look at this site uno.com.mx.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Jim Hyrve

We took a bus from Guadalajara to Morelia last year. It cost 350 Pesos and took about three and a half hours. We were on ETN bus lines. The bus was very nice, seating like first class and they give you a sandwich and a drink when you get on. Looking on the map of Mexico, it looks like the distance from Guadalajara to Oaxaca is three to four times longer than the trip we took. You may want to plan an over night stop in Mexico city.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:24 AM
D

First class on Uno from Mexico City to Oaxaca is 5 hours or so. The normal departure is around 11 at night. You could go to Mexico City- get your ticket for the late UNO depature- waste some time then take the bus and sleep to Oaxaca. This is how most Mexican folks do it. The Uno buses seats recline almost fully, you could probably get quite a bit of sleep.