one day in Phnom Penh

Oct 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

one day in Phnom Penh

Hi
On the way back from Siem Reap we will have a day(Arr 9.00am Dep 16.30). I thought I could get a guide to pick us up at the airport,spend the day looking around and then get returned to the airport. Has anyone got suggestions on what we should include in this and any guide recommendations? Thanks
Oct 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Maybe this link can help:
http://www.travel-library.com/holida...ia/phnom_penh/

I did the Killing Fields trip and stopped in at the Chen Ek Museum. (Not sure if the museum has been moved.)

Good luck.
Oct 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM

If you're departing on an international flight, you would really have to head back to the airport no later than 14:00, which really doesn't leave all that much time, considering it will be closer to 10:00 by the time you get out.

I wouldn't bother with a guide. I'd grab a taxi to the royal palace, and after looking around there go next door to the national museum. By the time you finish there, you'll have just enough time for a late lunch on the quay-side before heading back to the airport.
Oct 8th, 2007, 08:53 PM

You do not really need a guide. Arrange with a taxi from the airport to hire him for the day and tell him what you want to see. Since you have such a limited time I would suggest visiting the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda and Wat Phnom in the morning. Have lunch at the Foreign Correspondents Club and then visit the Tuol Sleng Museum (Museum of Genocide). If you have any time left then a make a short visit to the Russian market.
Oct 8th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. You are right...We are going back to BKK so check-in will be 3.30 PM. More like 1/2 a day. Will I be able to get a taxi driver that speaks English do you think? The only reason I was going with a guide was because they cost so little extra and I can get one who can speak English.
Oct 9th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Oops...Check-in will be more like 2.00PM. So 4 hours.... How far is the airport from town?
We don't want to look at any war memorials or anything similar. Thanks for the link Sir Halberd.
Oct 9th, 2007, 09:18 AM

As great as my 3 days in Siem Reap were, my day in Phnom Penh had its own incredible charm.

I did what you've been advised by everyone else, Killing Fields, Toul Sleng, Royal Palace, FCC.

I didn't have a guide, I just walked out of my hotel and a kid on a moped gave me a ride.

I am not sure what you can/should do in 4 hours.
Oct 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM

You won't have much trouble finding a taxi or tuk-tuk driver who speaks English. Most of them do.

Fortunately, the airport is less than 30 minutes from town, so you can maximize your time.

Personally, I found Wat Phnom a bit ho-hum. If you have time after the royal palace/silver pagoda and the national museum, you can go to the central market, which is architecturally interesting even if you're not in the mood to shop.
Oct 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Micheal. I think this sounds like a plan. We can head to the Grand Palace and the Silver Pergoda and then fit in whatever we can on top of that.For some reason any place that I think I am "not that interested in" like PP after I start to look into it I find enough things to keep me busy for a week!! Maybe 4 hours is enough time to work out if it is a place I would want to come back to.Lunch at the Foreign Correspondents Club also sounds great Scotters. Thanks
Oct 9th, 2007, 11:33 PM

PP is definitely under-rated. I visited there for just a couple days on business last year, and saw enough for me to go back on my own for a long weekend a few months later. I'll be back through again next month on my way to Kep and Bokor.