Help with Belize trip itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning on going to Belize in June for 7 nights/8 days. We are thinking of staying 4 nights at Chaa Creek Jungle Lodge and 3 nights at Victoria House.

We are thinking of doing the following tours at Chaa Creek: 1) Tikal; 2)Caracol; 3) Xunantunich (on the way in from the airport); and 4)inner tubing at Cave Branch River. I would also like to include horseback riding and canoeing the Macal River (if time permits). I don't think we have enough time at Chaa Creek to do all these tours and activities. Can I cut out either the Caracol or Tikal tour? Or are they both not to be missed?

We plan on doing nothing but relax at Victoria House. Okay, maybe a snorkel trip to the Hol Chan Marine Reserve.

Thanks for any advice I can get!!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:52 AM

Two great choices. Only downside if you are buying a package, would be being tied down to having all your meals at VH, which, by the way, has a great restaurant. But much more fun eating out and about on the island. If Maya sites interest you, see both, but Tikal is the most impressive in the Maya empire. I would drop the river cave tubing and instead, ask CC to arrange another cave, Actun TM, even if it's on your last day out and en route to VH.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will drop Caracol and see it another time. We'll also look into Actun TM. I didn't see this tour on Chaa Creek's website, but will ask them. We're thinking of adding one more night at Chaa Creek so we'd have some down time and relax.

We are not planning on getting the package at Victoria House, so we'll be on our own for meals. Any suggestions on great places for lunch or dinner?

Also, I saw a previous post (in 1/04) that mentioned that the casitas at Victoria House are kind of run-down and they are in the process of being renovated one by one. Does anyone have an update on the conditon of the casitas? Otherwise, we may have to upgrade to plantation room to avoid any disappointments and discomfort later.

Thank you!

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Tell Victoria House you need an upgraded casita. Or else. In June, you have a variety of options in San Pedro.

A few good choices of restaurants on Ambergris:

Capricorn (still the best)
Blue Water Grill (coconut shrimp are to die for)
Casa Picasso (tapas and pasta)
Elvi's (touristy but still good)
Caliente (Belizean-Mexican)
Rasta Pasta (it's returning to San Pedro)
JamBel Jerk (Jamaican-Belizean specials)
El Divino (especially for burgers and steak)
Papi's (no atmosphere but good)
Jade Garden (better than you think)

Lots more.

--Lan Sluder <San Pedro Cool and a half dozen other guidebooks to Belize>

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

We'll be sure to check out some of the restaurants. Thanks for your input!

By the way, has anyone gone on tours operated by Mayawalk? Will they pick up people from resorts? I'm thinking of using them instead of Chaa Creek's tours, since CC's tours are expensive. But I guess you pay for the convenience.