Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Kind help requested for single woman traveling to Buenos Aires, pls.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

: Hi! Traveling to Antarctica [my 7th continent] & would like to ask for some kind advisemment, pls. Have read at length on the forums about radio taxis, no jewelry or cameras. I am a single woman traveling alone & have Scandinavian coloring so there is no way to blend in. Do not speak their language but have enough language skills that I can usually translate written word somewhat & willing to learn. Would like to stop in Buenos Aires for a couple of days-see the sites staying in the "touristy areas" & be in hotel by dark. Would it be safe to go to the Tigre & Delta del Parana? Also would appreciate a safe lodging recommendation-with charm would be nice but safety is the most important consideration.
As you can see, I am not new to travel but am second thinking my stopovers from the safety aspect.
Thank you again fodorites for your kind help!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 03:50 AM

The crime rate in the main tourist areas of Buenos Aires, especially Recoleta/Barrio Norte, Retiro, and Palermo, is lower than in most big cities in the world.

You will not stand out as much as you might think. The "typical" Argentino has European features. I am light skinned and fair haired. I am often stopped on the street by strangers who assume I am a native wanting to ask me directions.

If you are looking for a hotel with charm in a safe area, try the Bel Air on Arenales. http://www.hotelbelair.com.ar/

Less charming, but very nice and safe is Art Suites aparthotel on Azcuenaga.
http://www.artsuites.com.ar/

Art Suites is operated by a group of women, all of whom speak English and take a personal interest in their guests.

Take a tour to Tigre and you will be very safe. For hotels or tours, contact Mayra www.argentinago.com or cintia www.wowargentina.com

I take a large group of college age women to Buenos Aires each year, some of whom have never been out of the United States and many of whom speak no Spanish. I have not had any problems...and they are rarely ever in their room before dark!!!

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 03:59 AM

My husband and I spent three months in Argentina this winter, beginning
and ending the trip with two weeks in Buenos Aires. Both times we stayed at
La Otra Orilla, a bed-and-breakfast inn in Palermo Viejo, the B.A. neighborhood that's compared to NYC's SoHo. Having lived at La Otra Orilla -- Spanish for "The Other Shore," a reference to a story by famous Argentine writer Julio Cortazar -- for nearly a month in total, we experienced it thoroughly and in a way that allows us to recommend it
without hesitation.

La Otra Orilla (www.otraorilla.com.ar) has everything that a visitor to any city wants in a B&B: A safe location away from the noise of the main boulevards but an easy walk (6 blocks) to the subway. Comfortable beds. The
best breakfast we had anywhere in the country, including the all-important
good cup of coffee, plus fresh-squeezed juice, fresh fruit and yogurt, pastries, meat and cheese. Good prices for its 5 rooms. Moreover, this B&B
also provides many extras: Free, high-speed Internet access. Laundry
service. A lending library. City maps. Information on day trips and
excursions.

But what makes La Otra Orilla head-and-shoulders above so many B&Bs are the proprietors, Agustina Montoreano and her mother, Cecilia Ramos Meja-a,
Natives of Buenos Aires, they also speak French and fluent English (Agustina was formerly an editor at the local English-language newspaper, The Buenos Aires Herald), which makes the inn attractive to travelers from Europe as well as the U.S., Canada, and Australia. They are warm and welcoming and, because they are well-traveled themselves, sensitive and responsive to the usual needs of guests. We met many single women traveling alone during the time we stayed there.

The inn itself was the family home until Spring 2003, when it was
transformed into the spacious B&B. Cecilia was formerly an interior
designer, and her touch is evident in everything from the rich colors of the
rooms to the rugs on the floors to the art on the walls. Agustina and her
family occupy a portion of the building, so the inn is warmed by the
friendly presence of the black Lab Aro and curious cat Katy. Among the unique
features of La Otra Orilla is the bi-level outdoor terrace, where you can
eat your breakfast, take your book on a sunny afternoon, or enjoy a glass of
wine at twilight. Surrounded by vine-covered walls, the terrace is a quiet
and beautiful reprieve from the bustle of Buenos Aires.

Re: Tigre -- A few of the single women we met at O.O. took the train to Tigre for a daytrip and had no problems with safety.

Best of luck on your exciting journey!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:28 PM

Hi drdawggy, Again our responses coincide, to the point that we are going to try the Bel Air Hotel on our next trip to Bs As this coming July.
I agree on everything and I found Ateabag a little misinformed, regarding the coloring of Porteños.Undestandable though.
We always agree on wowargentina.com and Cintia as a superb host in Buenos Aires.
Regarding the Suncat recomendation it sounds really interesting probably it is a very nice place worth trying one day.
Personally I prefer Hotels versus B&B, although there are some exceptions.
I agree that Bs As is not more dangerous than any other big city, of course, one has to be alert. That is all.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:58 PM

Hi, one more thing about the
Bel Air Hotel , Arenales 1462, it is better, almost a must, to request the superior rooms. Only a few more dollars .
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your kind help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!
A ? that I missed in my original post.
The falls-is it safe for a single woman to tour the falls alone or should I look for a tour?
Should the falls be a must??
Thx again fodorities! Ticketing today!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 05:03 AM

HI, I think the Falls are fantastic not to be missed.
It is my gut impression that the parc is safe but at the same time walking tours in the Park are very inexpensive. The matter in fact you can get some kind of a package with the hotel and tours for almost the same price you would pay for the hotel alone.
The best choice is the Sheraton in the Argentine side of the park. I am sure you have read why. ....It is the best choice because it is located right inside the Park and you can follow the many paths on your own.
One paath is particularly extraordinary because it takes you over Garganta del Diablo walking on a long , long pier. There is a train inside the park to take you from one remote side to the other. I am sure it can do it by yourself but it is something personal you can tag along the many persons who are walking in the park or simple as I said before go with a group.
We took a pre paid package from
Buenos Aires and the price was very good.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:24 PM

i understand your worries because i also travelled alone to Europe. It is not the same when you go with sb. else.
Going to a reliable place will do the trick.

I also recommend "La otra orilla" as a very cosy bandb. i love the people there and most especially how they ve decorated the rooms and the breakfast they prepare. the owner is a friend of mine. Cecilia R.M.

Another place to be recommended is
www.dandiroyal.com.ar Gorgeous!!!! If you like La otra orilla you will like this better.
Tango classes included in the fee every day and transfers everywhere.

Dont worry about the colour of your skin
The majority of portenos are very white

Tigre and Delta Tour are fantastic. I made one last week with a group and i enjoyed it tremendously. The whole day, many people stayed overnight. You cant miss it. Reservations can be made here
the same as booking a day in Colonia. Wonderful colonial city where the past is present in every cobbled street.

A day in a ranch will show you the real way people lived in the country. Very Interesting and not expensive. Carriages and horse riding, sometimes boats, balloing.etc.
Mansions there show the way portenos lived in the past, the folklore and tango are also present and ..lots of food. The bad thing is that you cant stop eating.especially barbecue.

Lots of luck
isabel
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Ateabag, just curious, how are you traveling to Antarctica? With what ship or tour company? I just put down a deposit for a trip next Jan. When you be going?