HELP! St.Croix or Cancun

Oct 3rd, 2016, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

HELP! St.Croix or Cancun

Over Christmas and New Years traveling with our 4 adult children but can't decide where to go. Been to Kona and Maui numerous times, as well as Aurba and Bermuda. Want to go somewhere to eat great food, sit on the beach and enjoy each other. If we decided to go to Cancun which part would we stay in that is safe? The same for St.Croix which side do we stay on? Appreciate any help. Thank you
Oct 3rd, 2016, 08:06 AM

I commented on your thread on the Caribbean board.
You could fly into Cancun but then I would recommend going south closer to Playa del Carmen for more of the tropical feel and local flavor.
What is your budget? There are SO MANY resort so we need more info. You better act quickly since you are going at the busiest and most expensive time of the year.
Oct 3rd, 2016, 09:03 AM

These days I prefer to stick to nonstops out of LA and keep flights to 5 hours or less, so I'd pick Riviera Maya but not Cancun. Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum, maybe a few days on Isla Mujeres (over 130 restaurants on a 5 mile long island).
Oct 3rd, 2016, 10:34 AM

All parts of Cancun are "safe". But at this point I would be more concerned about where you can get reservations (assuming you are talking the holidays this year). So I'd look at which has the best flight times & prices, and research a bit further to see actual availability both places.

You can do that anywhere!
Oct 3rd, 2016, 04:00 PM

Not sure of your budget, but Grand Velas resort in the Riviera Maya AREA arEa about 35 minutes south of CAncun has fantastic food in its 5-6 restaurants, fantastic spa, golf, great pools, and beach.

Cancun is a fairly large city, and I disagree about all parts of Cancun being safe. Maybe suze is talking about the hotel zone, a miles long stretch of beach where the large hotels and resorts are. But there are areas in Cancun I would not go to, and I have traveled all over MX for 40 yrs. and own two properties in that area. However you do not have to worry about those areas if you stay in the hotel zone.
Oct 15th, 2016, 07:41 AM

I have been to both Cancun and St. Croix where I stayed at the Buccaneer Resort which is said to be the high end for St. Croix but for Cancun or Riveria Maya would probably be 3.5 to 4*. Rooms nice, restaurants good but limited options, beach and pool fine but not spectacular, evening entertainment bleh. There are many more options for resorts, dining, excursions, evening entertainment and so on in the Yucatan resort areas than St. Croix which is an economically depressed Island. Good points are that St. Croix is part of the US, with english language and US currency and relatively safe. If you do go there then stay on the Island's north coast somewhere near Christiansted.
Oct 16th, 2016, 10:23 AM

There are certainly parts of Cancun that are not completely safe, but they aren't where tourists would usually stay or go, anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan to really stay off-the-grid and venture into poorer neighborhoods, far from the center. There is crime there, often related to drugs, in the non-tourist areas of Cancun and the outskirts. I think some people were shot near Plaza la Americas early this year, at a gas station, for example, but they weren't tourists. that's not the Hotel Zone, though, but not that far away. A tourist was killed in Punta Sam which is just north of Cancun, and of course, dozens of locals (including women, at least 18 in 2015). So no, all parts of Cancun are not safe as a blanket statement, some are more dangerous than others. The mayor was arrested as participating in drug trafficking not that long ago.

Stay in the hotel zone, there are plenty of hotels there, that makes it easy. If you want to stay elsewhere, ask about it.
Oct 16th, 2016, 02:26 PM

re: Buccaneer Resort

If you're considering this one, read thru this forum, one regular poster "Tabernash2" recently stayed there and loved this resort. She's got a number of different favorable posts about it.
Oct 17th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Unfortunately, not all parts are safe, but only at night ( not sure where suze gets her info, I would ignore it) I have been to many of such areas during the day (driving) but would not venture at night if on foot ...
Oct 18th, 2016, 05:21 PM

I wouldn't wander into certain areas at night in New York, Los Angeles.. and even parts of Honolulu.. however.. all those are what I would normally classify as safe destinations..

Tourists are not generally in back alleys at 2 pm..

I personally would not choose Cancun.. but that's because when we go for a sun and sand vacation ( like Mexico or Hawaii) I am not looking for a big city experience. I am looking for tropical delights.. beautiful sandy beaches with warm clear water.. snorkelling, swimming.. sun lazing.. maybe see a few historical sites.. some nature wonders.. and the areas south of Playa fit the bill wonderfully..

Cenotes ( swim holes in caves thousands of years old)
Snorkelling with turtles rays and fish..
White sand beaches
Clear blue warm water
Good food ( this of course is going to depend on which resort you choose to some degree)
Anicent Mayan Ruins ..
Entertainment..

We love the Akumal area.. and there are dozens of good resorts in that area and the surrounding areas.. carved often out of the jungle , wildlife viewing on your resort..

Depending on your budget there are many great places.. I have stayed at three.. and loved them all for different reasons sometimes. All had good food, drinks, beautiful lush grounds, and nice beaches..

Grand Bahia Akumal
Palladium Kantenah
Valentine Imperial Mayan ( this one is adults only but your kids are all over 18 so no worries)

We took our adult kids to the Grand Bahia and the Palladium.. and they enjoyed both.. but said that there was more to do at the Palladium for them..
Oct 19th, 2016, 09:11 AM

<>

Are you talking about Cancun? I've never felt unsafe walking around at night. Then again, I have stuck to the places that tourists would be walking. I'm sure there are less safe areas but I doubt if a tourist would be in those areas.
Oct 19th, 2016, 01:22 PM

Very well said Tom... I believe you answered your own question and yes, I am talking about Cancun. As with most cities, it is common knowledge as to where, and where not to frequent and why. In the case of Cancun, the MERCADOS and areas surrounding them are known places where crime is more prevalent. The one close to Plaza las Americas is IMO, an area to avoid especially at night with the poor lighting and the crowds.
Like you, we have never experienced any problems when we frequent Cancun for a day or for shopping... that said, I would never suggest that ALL areas of Cancun are safe, especially if you have never been.
Oct 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM

Whether I have or have not been to Cancun does not change how safe it is or is not.
Oct 19th, 2016, 07:09 PM

Crime happens in Mexico as well as San Francisco, Oakland & Waterloo, Iowa. Three places I have been such a victim.
I have never been a victim in Mexico but realize no matter how careful I am it could happen.
By behaving in a sensible manner I keep the danger at a minimum.
Certainly Cancun is not known as a hot spot for crime.