Help me please! Thinking of going to Cancun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:40 PM
iceeu2

Hi,
Have never been to Cancun..One of the Hawaii fodorites suggested this since we can't go to Kauai this year. So, what do I look for in Cancun. When do we want to go. Are most of the places all inclusive or no?
We are over 50, so would love to avoid the spring breakers and party people.
If there are other places instead of Cancun you would recommend, I heartily welcome them!
First time on the Latin American board so please be gentle!!

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on where you live, you might want to condsider Puerto Vallarta ...I spent 12 days there in Dec and got great info on this site...It is a tourist area but I think it retains an atmosphere of a friendly town that has become a destination.Yes,there are the timeshare seller,but they take a NO very well...I would be happy to share my experirnce but there lots of locals on Fodors who are willing to share....
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:10 PM
iceeu2

We would be flying out of Atlanta, so not really knowing the logistics you tell me if Puerto Vallarta would be out. And I am not opposed to timeshare presentations. Quite like their nice gifts!

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Cancun is great. Good food, golf, close to lots of activities. Vacation Club Intl. has 3 timeshare buildings there and all have very nice facilities including restaurants. Stay at one and use the facilities of all 3. We like Feb to May Do not like the fall Sept thru Nov. Very buggy. Also like Puerto Vallarta. Flights from Atlanta I believe are the same as Florida. Stop in Dallas if on American and continue on to Cancun. To get to PV you have to go thru Mexico City, but it is a short layover. Either place has something for everyone. We've been going there over 25 years! Started in Cancun in 76. Enjoy.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
owa

If you are flying out of Atlanta, I would get on Delta, fly to St Thomas(USVI), get on the ferry and head to St. John. You could snorkel, and hike. It is a beautiful island.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Wow, Cancun will have a totally differant feel than Kauai. Cancun is sort of like Las Vegas with a beach and no gambling. It is full of spring breakers and totally out of control from the last week of Feb until the week after Easter.

The east coast has the good water so if you want quiet I would suggest Isla Mujeres which is a small island 10 miles off Cancun. Lovely beach and cheap prices but very small town Mexico.
Visit isla-mujeres.net
On the west coast Ixtapa or PV would be my choices for you.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:29 PM
iceeu2

Hi dmotl, my goodness....isla-mujures looks heavenly. Where do you suggest to stay? The more I look the more confused I become. I think this is just the type of place we are looking for.

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:03 AM

Hello iceeu2,

Here are my suggestions...

Luxury - Villa Rolandi, Hotel Secreto

Mid-price - Na Balam or the Villas at Avalon (the VILLAS only with the NON-AI option.)

Reasonable - Media Luna
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Let me second the idea of Isla Mujeres. We were there last month, stayed Hotel Playa la Media Luna. Awesome views, nice small (18 rooms) hotel. It doesn't have a swimmable beach in front, but a three minute walk and you're at Playa Norte, which is beautiful. It's a great little island.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:06 AM

I thought advertsising was forbidden on Fodors??

Your membership to Palace Resorts certainly does NOT make you unbiased
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM

It seems to me that someone who thinks that Isla Mujeres 'looks like the perfect place' wouldn't be nearly as happy at one of the huge all-inclusive resorts on the Mayan Riviera.....
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Yes Isla Mujeres is to Cancun and massive AI resorts as black is to white.
Again, I would encourage a visit to the island web sight www.isla-mujeres.net which is maintained by "islaholics" and is not commercial.

In addition my wife and I send out our 26 page "newbie" brochure which is designed to hand hold the first time visitor to Isla. Non-commercial and no strings. Just a way of saying thanks to a place that has added so much to our lives and hopefully others
[email protected]
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 08:50 AM
iceeu2

dmotl, have just sent you an email requesting your brochure. Thanks.

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:01 AM

iceeu2,
I recommend staying South of Cancun in Playa Del Carman. Less americanized than Cancun. While there you have the option to take the ferry to Cozumel for a day trip. Also you are closer to Tulum and Mayan site. We like the Riu Playacar hotel.
We didn't care for isla-mujures. Nice but too isolated for us.

Craig