Help - do I need travel agent?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: I am in the final stages of planning my trip and am having a lot of difficulty. No one answers my e-mails. I call overseas and hear that there are computer problems. I get transferred around. I'm instructed to send faxes and am not able to do so. I have all my hotel reservations and a couple of transports (although one has not been confirmed, even though I requested a confirmation.) We are going over spring break, a busy time, so I really want everything reserved and confirmed.
Here's what I need:
Reservations for Arenal Sky Trek (unsuccessful e-mail, phone, and fax.)
Transportation from Tabacon to Tulemar (I may just e-mail Tabacon and request their transport.)
Confirmation from Tulemar for transport to San Jose (again, they're having computer problems.)
Reservations with Costa Rica Expeditions for 1-day Pacuare Rafting trip.
No one else on these boards seems to be having a problem I'm trying to do it all myself to save money, but I'm getting worried. Can one agent make these arrangements for me? If so, any recommendations?
Thanks,
Laurie

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Dear Laurie :
I am very sorry to hear that you are having such troubles.
Sometimes people donīt get messages or are misshandled. I will refer you to someone who can help you.
Good Luck
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:54 AM

don't worry, it'll come together, i freaked out in our pre-planning stages too b/c we planned only 2wks in advance in the middle of the xmas season when i was already stressed!
Costa Rican reservations seem to revolve around emails, but they almost always respond w/in 24hrs, not sure why you are not having luck with that. (at least hotels do). If not, try calling, sometimes they have a US number or if desperate, call direct. They will still ask you to email, but might wake them up a bit.
I dont think you need to worry about booking tours, sky trek,etc. Do that at Tabacon when you get there..they have a desk and usually availability is not a problem.
As for transport, use Interbus. They have a website and should confirm via email/confirmation numbers etc. Don't bother with hotel transport.
You can try to get a travel agent to do some of the leg work, but i am not a fan of them...they get in the way sometimes and pre-paying can limit your options once in CR. But if you're looking for one, just browse the net..I don't want to recommmend ours b/c she wasn't so fantastic! this board has been a greater source of info for me than agents..good luck!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Don't these popular things fill up over spring break? I'm talking such things as rafting and Arenal Sky Trek. I would think they would be mobbed at that time of year.
Laurie
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 12:21 PM

well it isn't cancun, so i dont think it'll be as crazy as you're picturing. This whole season is busy (their summer season), we were there over MLK wkend, and i'm sure prez day wkend will be busy too. I think the xmas / new years is their most busy time.
There are plenty of tours leaving several times a day for rafting, sky trek, horses, canopies. If you're staying at tabacon, most ppl just start booking once they arrive. if you really want, you can try to book b-4 you get there,but seeing how i just got back i can tell you it's not really necessary and you might drive yourself crazy w/all the various bookings. that's just my opinion, maybe others have a diff experience.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:29 PM

We always have our lodging and transportation reservations prior to arriving.

However day trips we typically do more spontaneously. You just never know what you may prefer to do that particular day!

The only day trip we have ever prebooked was a Pacuare Rafting trip for our first morning last year. We used Rios Tropicales.

Oh and some of our hotels have taken up to a week to respond.

Relax and enjoy. Have a great trip!