Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What is the best Costa Rican travel agent and tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a honeymoon trip from June 27th to July 5th. My suggested itinerary is below from Costa Rica Expeditions, but the quote is a little high $3,196.00 for our budget. Are there any other travel agents that would quote a lower price and have as good customer service as CRE. My agent is awesome!

Also, are there any tours or highlights that are a MUST SEE in these areas: Arenal, Puerto Jimenez, Manuel Antonio? We are staying at the Hotel Volcano, Bosque del Cabo, Hotel Si Como No, and Hotel Bougainvillea. I know that Bosque and Hotel Si Como No are expensive, but I wanted to stay in an eco-lodge. Are there any other cheaper eco-lodges?

Anyways, here's my itinerary. Please tell me what you recommend. Thanks!

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM

I was going to use www.bestofcostarica.com because of excellent recommendations by fodors travellers, but in the end I just couldn't let go of control of my trip...I usually plan them myself, you see. But if I was going to use a travel agency, I would have used Andrea at the above web-site, who has been recommended and answered my e-mail inquiries in a helpful way.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Do you think it's cheaper to book on your own? And how do I go about doing that as far as transportation? I e-mailed Oscar, but I don't think that will pan out because it's so late in the game. Should I go with www.interbus.com. What do you use for transportation?

As far as tours go, is it easy to plan them when you get there? Do you plan through your hotel or guide book? It seems like I should make reservations for tours in advance so they do fill up. How do you plan your vacation?
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I planned my vacation totally based on this forum (see Nature Lover's Trip). BUt you could book tours when you get there. Don't think they fill up but I was amazed how little information was available at the places I went to. Try Bosque de Paz if you want an eco-lodge. Don't know if the prices are better. It also is not on the beach but it was wonderful if you like to be up in the mountains. They can arrange a driver for you (in fact, I think if you contact your hotels they can arrange a driver for each leg of the trip).
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:47 PM

I am planning a trip to CR with my 15 year old niece in late July/ early Aug. using Traveland.com. The prices are quite reasonable from Oregon/Washington, but feeling great responsibility for my niece, I am curious - has anyone else used this company or heard of it? The hotels are Country Inn & Suites in San Jose, a tour of Poas Volcano then to the Punta Leona Hotel. I've read through many posts and have not read of either of these hotels, nor have I seen anything about Traveland. Thank you for any and all help.

Thank you!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM

We booked through Preferred Adventures, who in turn makes arrangements through Sun Tours in Costa Rica. We were very pleased and would definitely use them again. It may be possible to book directly with Sun Tours, but we like the idea of having a contact in the US. We had a wonderful guide named Adrian. He was so knowledgable and willing to take us anywhere we wanted to go, at our own pace.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM

We went to CR in December for 2 weeks with O.A.T. on their "Real Affordable Costa Rica" trip. Although there were a few clitches on the front end, from the moment we landed, we were very pleased! The trip was varied, thorough, educational and adventuresome. Our guide and driver were wonderful. The accomodations were lovely and the small group was perfect.