ikal, alamandas - Honeymoon Help

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ikal, alamandas - Honeymoon Help

Hey all! Trying to decide between Ikal Del Mar, Las Alamandas and La Casa Que Canta for my mid October honeymoon. Looking for a relaxing week by the beach with the ability to swim in the ocean easily (snorkel?), perhaps explore some ruins and not be hassled by any vendors. If anyone has any thoughts or insights, or has been to any (all) it would be greatly appreciated. See spending my days walking on the beach, taking a dip, doing some yoga and getting a spa treatment and then sitting by the pool and drinking some margaritas, and some days perhaps exploring the area. Specific questions are Ikal- neighbors? how private is the beach, and is the ocean safe for swimming (i don't mind bringing rock shoes), is the ocean nice (snorkel?). Las Alamandas - is the ocean safe for swimming (oct?)? Also any specific room recommendations at both would be great. La Casa Que Canta looks lovely but I think I want to stroll on the beach too much. Thank you so much for your insight on these three! It means a lot!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:23 PM

I believe there is a post here somewhere talking about not being able to swim in front of Ikal , and having to walk a bit towards Maroma to do so .
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM

What a great choice of places you have! Have you looked at tripadvisor.com?
There doesn't seem to be much feedback on Las Alamandas anywhere.
La Casa Que Canta is ranked as perhaps the nicest hotel in Mexico, but because of the Carribean, I think I"d choose Ikal.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM

I had looked into Las Alamandas, but chose Ikal because the Pacific is cold, rough and murky (was in PV).

But I think Las Alamanadas will have a more pvt beach. There are neighbors right next to Ikal (they make it sound so pvt), but they have security right on the beach so nobody enters the property. I actually liked the neightbor, Juan's restaurant for less $$ margs ($10 vs. $3 for the same thing) and snacks. Not sure how the snorkling is there.

Ikal does have a fantastic spa - if spa treatments are part of the plan, I would chose Ikal for this reason alone. Plus you are close to ruins and PDC for other restaurants if you get bored at Ikal.

There are some aerial shots of Ikal on locogringo.com and maybe on cancunmap.com - you'll have to click around a bit, but they are there.

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the feedback. The Pacific vs. Caribean (esp in Oct) is a really good point. Pepper131 is the beach out front of Ikal busy? I don't mind the restaurant next door and def love the idea of getting a few cheaper cocktails there, but is it peaceful and relaxing- the beach? Also any specific room recommendations? And how'd you like that plunge pool?!!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 02:28 PM

The beach in front of Ikal and all along is pretty much empty. I just remember when we arrived being surprised that there were places next door and all around because they make it sound so secluded and that you could never find it on your own. But the places are small and very quiet and are definately not a problem.

It is very relaxing and comfy in the lounge chairs that have nice cushions and super long beach towels. They will set you up anywhere you want to be along the pool or beach. We actually liked being right behind the wall that seperates the pool area from the sand on the beach. I think I remember there being a screen if you wanted to seclude yourself.

I'll have to be honest...we were there in April of 2002 after they first opened. Some nights, we were they only guests and there were no more than 3 or 4 rooms occupied at any given time.

I think the best rooms are ones off the main path so you can lounge on your patio in whatever attire (or not) you wish. There is a light in the plunge pool that you can turn off if you need more privacy. I thought it was really nice just laying on the lounge chairs on the patio listening to the birds and jungle sounds and dozing off for a nap.

Also another good reason to be off the main path is the moon shower - outdoor shower which is wonderful. We never used the indoor shower once.