Search

Heading to Honduras!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading to Honduras!

I'm heading out to Honduras soon so will be absent from the forum for a month or so. When I get home I'll post links to our blogs and add a travelogue and photo collection to my flickr account, linked below. Happy trails!

http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Hopefulist,
Just want to wish you a wonderful, safe trip. I will be looking forward to reading your travelogue when you return. We just booked our second trip to Honduras this week. We will be returning in April.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Very cool - what are your plans, ttraveler?
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Adios Stacey...have a great trip, and have a baleada for me! Sounds like we'll be heading to Guatemala right about the time you get back.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Good - something to look forward to (your travelogue). Happy trails!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:37 AM

We are going to Copan for three nights since I missed it last time. Then we are going back to the Omega Lodge for two and then to Roatan for two. It's going to be a busy trip but I really want to go to Copan my neice will be going on this trip as well and I would love for her to see some ruins.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Let me know if you want any opinions about Copán. Happy trails!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM

I always welcome opinions and helpful tips. There are six of us traveling together on this trip and we all like to be active.
We are due to arrive in SAP around 11:45 so I thought we would take a shuttle to Copan. The first night I think we will stay at La Casa De Cafe. It would be great if we had time to visit the bird park. I doubt we would have time to visit the ruins. How much time do you think we would need there? Also should we see the caves?
Airwayvz recommended taking the Finca el Cisne tour so I think that would be our day two. Pickup is at eight and we would arrive back the next day at ten.
Day three I thought we would stay at Hacienda San Lucas. It looks so beautiful and I have been thinking about the Hacienda for some time now. We would spend this day visiting the ruins, maybe take in a hike and I want to have dinner at the Hacienda. What do you think? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

I think you're right that you could fit in a visit to the bird park but would be short changing the ruins that afternoon. We're using a shuttle driver named Miguel Martel; his telephone is: (504)96200372. He was recommended by our Spanish school and we'll be using him for shuttles from Guatemala City to Copán and from there to SAP ($250 and $150 respectively).

Morning is a great time to visit the ruins, especially if you want to take in the nature trail. The museum there was closed when I was there in 2005 so I'll look forward to that this trip. I didn't visit the tunnels so I'm not sure about how worth the $ those are, if that's what you mean by caves. If you mean El Boqueron, that would be a day trip you probably don't have time for if you do the coffee plantation.

There are 2 museums on the square, both excellent, and free or cheap. The butterfly place is nice, too, and has some beautiful orchids. My travelogue is posted with the photos linked above.

I'll post a new travelogue when I get home and things slow down a bit (I start work the day after I return and will have 3 or 4 crazy weeks to get my autism centers up and running for the school year).

Happy trails!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Hopefulist,
Thanks for your input. I am really looking forward to this trip although it's a long way away. I feel like I need to make some arrangements since six of us are going.. I am afraid that the places I want to stay may be booked. Enjoy your travels.