Peru- Perurail tix - couple of ?s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the train to Machu Picchu: if we're traveling from Ollanta to MP but then returning to Cusco the next day does it make any sense to book round-trip Ollanta-MP-Ollanta and then hire a cab to Cusco to save time? If so, any guesstimate of cab price for Ollanta to Cusco? Our hotel in Cusco provides free pick-up from the train, but I assume only from the station in Cusco not O.

Also, if I purchase them online the guide who's picking us up says we can stop there in Cusco first when our flight lands & get our tickets. But I'm worried that if the office is only open 'til noon on Saturdays and our flight is supposed to land at 9 am, that doesn't leave much room for error if our flight is delayed. Does anyone know if someone other than myself can pick-up my tix for us ahead of time if they're already paid for? I will ask him but it's a several day delay between asking questions and getting answers by email and I'm really wanting to book the train tickets asap. I don't know if they get full in October but I'd hate to wait & find no seats left.

There's a bit of a language challenge with the hotel we're staying at in Ollanta the first 3 nights so I'm hesitant to go into the question with them of whether they can pick up our tickets for us.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
ahc

We did a similar trip last year and traveled from Ollantaytambo - Cusco for less than $15 in a cab.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM

The train website said you can exchange your e-tix for paper tixup at the Ollanta train station too.

We didn't risk it though, and we had our cab driver dropped us off at the Cusco office to get the tix.

When we were there in May, the Ollanta station looked well staffed and not busy.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Our guide picked up the tickets for us before we arrived. He paid and we reimbursed him - I thought it was really nice of him. When you arrange for the tickets with Peru Rail, be sure to let them know who will be picking the tickets up. I think you still have time if you're not going till October.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

althom1122 - Was Percy your guide? We've booked with him for 3 days in the Sacred Valley (starting out there after flying into Cusco). I emailed him tonight to see if I pay for them online, would he be able to pick them up.
Don't know if that's allowed if they're in my name. Or if he needs to just buy them himself & I can pay him.

He said in an earlier email that we could go get them the day we fly in but I'm worried if there's a delay we won't get to the ticket office in Cusco before they close at noon.

It's hard when you have to wait a few days between questions and answers! I understand that he's not glued to his computer like me

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Hi Leslie. I just got back from MP. We went from Ollanta-MP-Ollanta and then we took a cab to Cusco. It cost us 40 soles. You can also catch a bus to Cusco right when you get off the train station at Ollanta for 5 soles... or you can share a cab aka "collective" and share the cost to Cusco. It took us 1.5 hours from Ollanta to Cusco in the cab. One piece of advice...before you contract the cab, make sure he has working seatbelts in the backseat. Also, we stayed at the Hotel Monasterio in Cusco- there is a Peru Rail rep there bt 6pm and 8pm. They can make arrangements to print your tickets whenever it is convenient to you. If you are not staying at the Hotel Monasterio...then I would arrange for someone to pick up your tix bf you go to Ollanta. Get those tix in your hand asap.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Leslie - yes, Percy was our guide. We didn't pay in advance. He paid when he picked them up and we reimbursed him. I did provide PeruRail with our passport numbers and told them Percy would be picking them up. It was no problem. Cusco's not that big. If your flight lands at 9 (or even an hour or so late), you should have time. If you're still worried, ask if Percy can pick them up. He did charge us a commission, as I remember, but we thought it was well worth it.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

I have a problem with being patient, apparently! Went ahead and ordered and paid for the tickets on the perurail website. We'll just have to get them when we arrive. I guess even if we are too late that first day, we have a couple of days in the Sacred Valley before we go to MP so if we need to drive back to Cusco to get them it won't be the end of the world.

I've sent a couple questions to Percy and not heard back from him. I know that he's not glued to a computer 24 hours a day like I am so I'm telling myself to slow down and wait patiently for a reply. Not easy!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:08 PM

If you're using Percy for a day or two in the Sacred Valley before MP and happen to arrive late on that first day, he could probably get the tickets for you since he lives in Cusco. I feel sure it'll work out one way or another. (I understand, though - I tend to worry about things, too!)