Search

Havana and Varadero

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Havana and Varadero

I'd like to go to Cuba and it would be my first time. Can you please tell me how far Varadero is from Havana? I would consider it a waste if I couldn't see this city and I'm trying to decide which resort area is closer...so that it's easier to get there.

THanks for your help!

Camelia
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 03:10 AM

My wife and I just returned from Varadero. We took a tour to Havana. The drive took approximately 2 hours. I posted a trip report earlier this week on the Caribbean Forum under Melia Varadero trip report.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Hi

From Varadero Beach Resort area, it is 75 miles to Havana.
Yes, I agree you do not want to miss this place.
I am sure the tour guide will explain everything to you and you will like seeing the old building ( even though some need repair) they are lovely to see.
Also ,you will see Revolutionary Square where Castro gives his 4-5 hours speeches !!!! the ones you see a bit of on TV.
But let me tell you,do NOT waste your time taking the Havana tour that includes the Tropicana Show.
This is a waste of time and I am sure you have seen better shows in Vegas if you have ever been there.
Also , if you take in the Tropicana show you will not get back to Varadero until about 3 Am if you are lucky !!!
I would take a trip to the "Bay Of Pigs" area near Playa Largo, this is where Castro "defeated" the Americans and you can listen to the Cuban version of the events.
Have a nice time, the beach and water at Varadero is second to none.
Percy
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 06:34 PM

We were fortuntate to travel to Havana in December 2002, before President Bush tightened the travel restrictions to Cuba. We really enjoyed the show at the Tropicana. I'm sure there are better shows in Las Vegas, but they aren't open air and they aren't in Havana. What an experience. After the show started the waitresses brought around bottles of rum, coolers of ice, and cans of cola. They don't do that in Las Vegas.

The city of Havana and the people of Cuba hold a special place in my heart and I hope to be able to return one day.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:35 PM

We also had the waitress bring us bottles of rum and coolers etc . when we were at the Tropicana show in Havana.
We never even opened the bottle!

I have had free drinks at many shows in Las Vegas, but I do not go to a show to have free drinks.

I have been to Las Vegas about 20 times and have seen enough shows to make comparisons.
We would have walked out of the Tropicana show in Havana and headed back to Varadero but we were on a tour and "trapped".
Other on our group of 12 wanted to leave also, but our tour bus and guide was not coming to get us until after the show.
We should have left anyway and just toured more of Havana.
Havana is a pleasant city to see and you could spent a week here just sight seeing.
To Camelia I would say , absolutely go to Havana.
Go to the Tropicana show if you have never been to Vegas and you want to see girls parading around in feather costumes.. and swinging high above you on ropes suspended from the ceiling!!!!

This Tropicana show has been playing in Havana since 1938!!! so you do hear hype about it.

One of the closest resort to Havana is the Superclubs Breezes Jibacoa.... this is an adult only place, it is located between Havana and Varadero.

But you are sort of isolated here, you cannot walk to anywhere.
I would recommend staying at Barcelo Solymar or Arenas Blancas , which are almost the first two resorts on the beginning of the loooong Varadero hotel strip.
Because from here you can very easily walk to the town of Varadero( 5-8 minute walk).
You do not want to take a taxi or thoselittle trolly trains each time you want to go somewhere.
Also there are many very nice resorts toward the very end of the Varadero strip, BUT , when you take a tour,you will be first to be picked up and the last to be dropped off..this can add an hour to your being dropped off.
Better to be near the town of Varadero which is at the beginning.
If you are only going to do 1-2 tours ,then perhaps this is no big deal but if you are going for 2 weeks or more and are going to take 4-5 tours, this can become a real pain, just waiting to get to your hotel at the end of a long day of touring.
Anyway ....go to Havana !!!!
And say Hi to Fidel Castro for me ( yeah sure !!)
Percy
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:02 AM

Ok, fine, so I don't know much about Las Vegas. I got up every morning and looked out over Old Havana and marveled that I was actually there. I've heard about the Tropicana nightclub as long as I can remember. It just seemed absolutely surreal to actually be sitting there, open air in December (I'm from the midwest)watching the show. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that the shows in Las Vegas are better. But, they don't have the history and tradition that the Tropicana show does. I can't imagine a trip to Havana that didn't include a night at the Tropicana.

Jean
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM

I am very glad that you enjoyed the Tropicana and I am also very sure that many many other have also.
Personally I would have loved to have spent that time touring more of Havana.

Seeing the sites at night would have just complimented the full day tour that we had.
The trouble is that many long running shows have a lot of hype to them .
And let me tell you that Vegas is no exception.
The Seigfried and Roy show with the white tigers would still be running there right now if Roy had not been mauled by a tiger.
The Follies Berges ran for year and year and so when you go to Vegas, you say , "gee I have to see these great show , they have been here for year, how can I go back home and not have seen these shows." !!
There were 12 of us at the Tropicana and 11 wanted to leave half way through.
But I can fully understand why someone would want to see the Tropicana show...simply because it has been around since 1938... then you tour guide says,"Oh you better see this show."
How do you think I got to see it ? Curiosity...
But now that I have seen it ,I can say that for me,"never again."
I have been back to Cuba and Havana , but I get enough shows at our resort at Varadero Beach , so when I am in Havana
I want to see the culture and the buildings and the people and somehow a Las Vegas type show to me does not fit that bill.
But do not get me wrong..I am happy that you enjoyed it.
I do not mean to impose in anyway that my taste is better than yours..I have seen worse shows and better shows in Vegas.
I go to Cuba often because I am from Canada and we have no restriction from going there.
Thank you for your comments also Jean.
I hope I did not sound overbearing !!
Percy

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:18 AM

Percy, It looks like it will be a long time before I'll be able to return to Cuba, thanks to the current administration in Washington. The country fascinates me, I wonder what will happen when the embargo is finally lifted. Since we were part of a 'cultural exchange', our time was pretty tightly regulated. Not my usual mode of travel.

Anyway, enjoy your freedom to travel to Cuba.

In the meantime, I'm still searching for that 'perfect' Caribbean island.

Jean
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:59 AM

Hi Jean

let me know when you find that lovely Caribbean Island.
There are so many different islands and you get so many different answers as to what people like ,but then that it the way it should be.
We always have friends coming back from a Caribbean Cruise and they sure differ in their "favourite islands."
Yes, we are free to go to Cuba always.
I have been to almost everywhere in Cuba except Holguin and Guantanamo Bay but I think I will stay away from Guatanamo.. I might get locked up with the others there.
The travel section in our local paper is always filled with deals going to Cuba, so in that aspect we are lucky.

I agree with you,you can never tire of seeing and visiting Havana.
Its like each time you visit you see something different.
I just feel so sorry for the Cuban people.
Whenever we go we bring a lot of pens and asprins and soap and ball point pens and school supplies and toothpaste etc .etc.
I will never forget on one tour I was on as and I got off the small bus , there was a group of young mothers, holding their very young babies, they put their hand on their chest and made a circular motion ,indicating to me , "do you have any soap"?
Thank goodness I had a shopping bag full of things...all hell almost broke loose as I was handing things out.!!!
You cannot help but love these people.
And as you know , the beaches in Varadero and the torquise water is just the greatest.

Take care and thank you for your comments.
Percy