Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is the Travel Channel finally going to get it right?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching Tony Bourdain's show last night and there was a commercial for Globe Trekker. They're bringing it back to the Travel Channel and it will be airing on Saturday nights at 10 p.m. Maybe they've finally realized that viewers want to see travel shows on the Travel Channel. Anything travel related is better than those monster truck and Vegas poker shows!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:45 AM

"Globe Trekker is back where it belongs", according to Travel Channel.

Actually I'm sorry to see it go from PBS to a commercial station. While it's true for all TV shows, it's especially true for Globe Trekker: episodes are far more enjoyable without commercial interruptions.

Also, unfortunately I think Ian and the other GT hosts/producers will be toning down their narratives to accomodate the new viewership. The heart and soul of GT is (or at least was) its sometimes brutal honesty, e.g. seeing first-hand how 40 years of embargoes and sanctions have affected Cuba.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM
P_M

I agree they have improved. I like Tony Bourdain, and I really like Cash Peters, who is on just before Bourdain. If I never again see another show about Vegas bathrooms it will be far too soon. However last week I tuned in and they had yet another poker show. The Vegas garbage might never go away completely, but at least they are on the right track.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:08 PM

You know, I don't mind if they show Poker, or Vegas shows, or "world's most haunted . . ." or whatever, sometimes. I just get frustrated when they show 12 hours straight of something like that. I like Vegas and enjoyed some of the shows on it, but enough is enough. I like other places more! Why can't they actually throw travel into the mix on a regular basis, and only show the other types of shows as occasional things, rather than a Saturday marathon of ghost stories?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Weren't the 500 responses to the last thread on this issue enough? Why are we resurrecting this dead horse?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM

I thought it ironic that Bourdain's show last night was in Vegas. But I liked his take on the city more than any other Vegas show I've seen.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Nadia02

Travgina: Ever watch Fine Living Channel? They have some good travel shows. There's one that focuses on islands. I just saw one episode on Hvar, Croatia. Really beautiful place.