Tipping at a bed and breakfast??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am staying at a California Coastal bed and breakfast for one night only. I have an attic room with no bath or toilet for $95 icluding tax for one person (that's me!). I have to go down a flight of stairs to use a common bathroom. No biggy though. There is a nice wine and cheese reception, and the breakfast the next day is very nice.

There is an envelope in my room to leave a tip for the maid. But, should I leave a tip for the other three people that are there? There is no hint anywhere and I am not B&B savy. Should I and how much? Thanks!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:21 PM

Maybe there's some sort of charm here that I'm totally missing, but $95 for an attic room with a bath downstairs?

Regarding the tip for the maid -- I know others will disagree with this -- but did you see her? Did she come to the room and do anything while you were there? If this is some unknown entity who cleaned the room and made up the bed for your ONE night only before you arrived, I feel that no personal attention has been given to you. You paid a rather dear price for a bed in a room and the place provided it for you -- who cares whether the owner did it or they had someone else do it. What you got was NOT personal service. No tip from me for a single night. Now if she brought you towels or extra pillows or came to turn your bed down at night, then sure, I'd leave her a couple dollars. That's a tip for PERSONAL service.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I generally tip the person who cleans the room because they are more times than not horribly under paid, and usually never seen. I usually leave a few bucks.

But it's the other staff there, the folks that greet you, bring you the breakfast, etc. I just didn't know what to do about them. Thanks again!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much do you tip the pilot?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:49 PM

After tonight, a whole damn lot.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Point taken........but gee, just asking!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:51 PM

Sorry. Leave a tip for the housekeeper. What's the "value" of the breakfast? I would tip accordingly, unless the gratuity is included.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

seetheworld, No kidding! I don't have TV, but I have been following the thread on this site. Good job pilots!!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

There was no tip mentioned or hinted about, besides the envelope in my room for the maid. I just wanted to be correct. That's all.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM

You know, this tipping business is getting out of hand. It seems worse on the East Coast. I doubt there is any country in the world that tips more than the US. A B&B, normally a small family-run operation, hardly seems a place that one should tip. It would be like tipping the owner of a restaurant. Maybe we should adopt New Zealand's practice of not tipping or Japan's, where tipping is an insult. Personally I like the European system of adding in a service charge, although I recognize it creates the potential of poorer service.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Once again, they didn't ask me for it, I was just wondering out of ignorance what the right thing to do was.

I know that housekeepers at hotels, B&Bs, etc. are generally low on the food chain of wages and the work they have to do is nasty. Did you ever read, 'Nickel and Dime'd', or some title like that? Anyway, I always tip the housekeeper. They need it, I am sure.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:14 PM

seekocean, I read "Nickled and Dimed" - a realy eye-opener. Tip.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I tip! Hey, didn't I see you on the plane landing thread? You were very positive I think, thanks. I don't have TV, so it was interesting reading on this site what was going on. Glad it worked out well!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 09:52 AM

I thought I'd give my two cents as a B&B owner.

1. Though it is not expected, and my housekeepers are well paid, they do appreciate when a guest leaves a tip. All tips are divided equally between all housekeepers.

2. As the owner, I do not share in the tips. Thus at B&Bs that are entirely family run, tips should not be left since everyone is, essentially, an owner. If you do want to do something for them, a small token is appropriate. In the past I have received plants, beautiful soaps, books etc. These I consider gifts, not tips.

I would say about 30 percent of guests leave a tip. Those that do tend to be very generous. It always astounds me that some guests will leave a tip for a regular stay, and other guests will leave nothing even though we have gone miles and miles out of our way to make a special occassion truly special.

Where people are from, their age or income bracket have nothing to do with whether a guest leaves a tip or not.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:25 AM

I'm with Patrick on this - base your decision on tipping the chambermaid or anybody at the Inn, for that matter, on how you are treated during your stay, your overall impression of the Inn and whether or not you are a high maintenance guest. I wouldn't assume the staff is underpaid simply because they are doing "domestic work" or that it is your responsibility to make sure they get a living wage - that's really between the Innkeeper and the staff. I've stayed at B&B's where everything was tended to by the owners and I've been at places that have paid staff. I've been in B&B's where the room was filled with dust bunnies and the bathroom hadn't been given more than a "lick & a promise" and I've stayed at places that were immaculate. It's pretty easy to figure out when I left tips and when I didn't. Remember, you are contracting to stay in a particular place at a price set by the Innkeeper. Tipping is just that - a tip - it should be neither expected or required.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Placing an envelope for tips for the maid, in my opinion, is rather tacky.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM

I stayed at an inn/B&B in Santa Fe last month that had two envelopes for tips in the room: one for the "housekeeper", and one for the "innkeeper". For as friendly and helpful as they both were, I didn't have a problem leaving a nice tip for each.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM

How much is a "nice tip" -- $10.00? $20.00?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM

We stay at a wonderful B&B quite often. So often that we actually feel like good friends with the owners. They have no staff, and do everything themselves.

I have never even thought about tipping. Am I wrong here??? How embarassing if I am!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM

No, wliwl, I think you are absolutely right, especially since it is owner run. Did you read the comments from the owner of a B&B above?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -