Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hang-gliding in Rio: Who has (or would)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:33 PM
TurnstileTraffic

We recently published an article on the Wire titled "City Limits: Five Urban Adventures".

One of the adventures we highlighted was hang-gliding in Rio. I now feel that I MUST do this at some point. Has anyone?
Check out the view:
http://www.fodors.com/wire/archives/002425.cfm

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband & I both did this the last time we were in Rio - with the same operator you mentioned in your article!! It was absolutely amazing - the best experience ever, if a little scary at first. So exhilirating!! A definite must-do in Rio; the views are amazing & the operators are very knowledgable & make you very comfortable. I cannot wait to do this again!! =)
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:54 AM
TurnstileTraffic

Oh cool Angela.. I knew someone would have done it. Do you remember how long your ride was?

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:35 AM

It lasted about 20 minutes. My husband flew straight over to the ocean, while I lingered over the forest due to the wind. Then you land on the beach (& this was the scariest part b/c you kind of have to run as you land). I can't recommend it enough; it was one of the best parts of our trip!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I suppose my comments are redundant, but I was there in 2001, had a fantastic experience and would highly recommend it. My friend and I each did the tandem hangliding with Paolo. It was fantastic and very easy. btw - Paolo and his company were featured in the first season of Amazing Race.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Hang-Gliding Instructor who Abandoned Tourist in Mid-Flight May Be Suspended for Two Years

Rio - The President of the Associação de Vôo-Livre do Rio de Janeiro (AVLRJ: Rio de Janeiro Hanggliding and Paragliding Association), Plácido da Cunha Faria, disclosed this Saturday afternoon that hang-gliding/para-gliding instructor Eduardo Nascimento Coelho, 45 years of age, better know by the name of Alpine, may be suspended for two years.

This Saturday afternoon, Alpine took a flight with a tourist, Kenny Reyee, 30 years of age. After takeoff, the pilot noticed that he had forgotten to clip himself onto his hang-glider and triggered his emergency parachute, leaving the tourist alone in control of the hang-glider . As a result, Kennye ended up falling onto a tree, in São Conrado, in the Zona Sul. Other hang-gliding pilots who had witnessed the accident alerted fire-fighters, who rescued Kenny from the tree within 45 minutes. The client and the pilot, who also got stuck in a tree, were taken to Miguel Couto Hospital in Leblon, where they were treated for bruises and scratches and ultimately released.

A photographer, Luiza Reis, preparing to take a para-gliding flight, filmed the accident and the rescue operation.

As a a result of the suspension, Alpine would be prohibited to act as a hang-gliding/para-gliding instructor and even to fly hang-gliders at all.

Abandoning a client in mid-flight? You really can't exclude anything during tandem flights in Rio. unbelievable.
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM

I'd definitely do it!!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:32 AM

I am fortunate enough to live in Rio and did my first flight last year, boxing day, have since become addicted to hang-gliding, still tamdem at moment though. I would say that this accident shouldnt put anyone off. It´s just the best thing. The views and sensation are amazing. Flights last from 15-30 min and depending on winds can be done at virtually any time during the day.
I always fly with an instructor called Chico, who´s been flying for more than 18 years, has won championships and flown all over world. He has the best landing on the beach, you hardly have to run at all, unlike on the ramp!!
So to anyone who´s considering it, go for it ! The instructors are well experinced and very friendly, nearly all speak great english, and fotos and films can be made during flight. Well worth it.
Have fun flying !!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM

hi, chico's details are www.goup.com.br
he speaks english fluently and is a friendly, trustworth and very competent instructor. His no is (021) 7813 8821. Happy flying !