Search

Peace Lodge alternative

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peace Lodge alternative

Peace Lodge seems very pricey. Any alternatives in the general area w/the same kind of ambiance but w/ a smaller price tag?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Peace Lodge is pretty unique to that area. It is pricey, but keep in mind the room price includes the entrance fees to the park (I think currently around $30/pp for adults). So when you add that to the cost of a less expensive hotel (not sure the size of your family) staying there may still be a better way to go. If you have your own car you can save $ because getting transport there can be somewhat costly as well. We also didn't eat in the main restaurant, but opted for the Trout Bar.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM

It also includes breakfast as well. And if you do eat at the more expensive restaurant, we felt for the food you got, the price was really not expensive. At least not when compared to the states. The food was good, the portions were large and the selection was good as well. If you can splurge for a night or two, Peace Lodge was well worth it for us! We spent as much or maybe more at Tabacon and Peace Lodge blew it away!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM

I think the previous posters have about said it all. Peace Lodge is unique, and you are not going to duplicate the experience for less money.

The star attractions in this area are the Waterfall Gardens and Poas volcano. Actually, to my knowledge there isn't even another place to stay nearby.

That all being said, I guess the next best way to visit would be to make it part of the travel day to your Arenal hotel.

I would stay the night before near the airport. This is about an hour and 15 minutes away. I would get up at the crack of dawn, and head for the Poas volcano. You need to be here early anyway, as the fog creeps in later in the day.

After Poas, head to La Paz Waterfall Gardens. You can see most of it in a few hours. By mid - afternoon, you can begin the two and a half hour drive to Arenal.

I would then enjoy a long soak in the hot springs, with a well deserved drink in hand. The end of a perfect (albeit long) day.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I'm surprised Pat Hewitt hasn't heard of Poas Volcano Lodge---not too far from Waterfall Gardens.
I agree that Peace Lodge is unique, and there is no cheap version of that experience.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM

I must agree that Peace Lodge, although expensive, is really worth a stay. When you add in the amount to visit and the free breakfast it doesn't seem as extreme. The rooms are simply incredible and though I hated paying my bill I don't regret it in the slightest - it really was worth it.

As mentioned, Poas Volcano Lodge is the only other place I know of in the area.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Poas Volcano Lodge is the other "alternative"...just to sleep..of course you can not compare the "plastic" Peace Lodge with anything around...but maybe you can try the Poas Volcano Lodge and then visit the Paz cataratas and gardens..

Poas Volcano Lodge is run and operated by a nice English man...is a kind of family operation...so please do not expect any thing fancy...or with a 5 star service...

Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!