Search

Xandari or Peace Lodge

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xandari or Peace Lodge

Have read wonderful things about both places.This would be our big "splurge" on our trip.We will fly into San Jose and want to spend first night,maybe second,at one of these locations.Any comments are appreciated.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:28 AM

I haven't been to Peace Lodge but have heard good things about it. I have been to Xandari, though, and LOVED it. We stayed there on our first night on one trip, and it was perfect. They have their own trails in the rainforest--just enough to do in the morning before you go to your next destination. The rooms and grounds are gorgeous (even more than the pictures on the website), and having breakfast on their outdoor patio overlooking the city on our first morning waking up in CR was wonderful. If you go, eat the pineapple there. For some reason, it was better than what we got anywhere else in CR, and it's the best I've ever had.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks allison04!I noted you said on one trip. Could you recommend a place to stay in Arenal and Playa Hermosa?We're currently looking at Arenal Paraiso and Villa del Sueno.Also an agency quoted us around 140.00 for two to arenal from Peace Lodge. Is this about what we should expect or is there a better way?
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I haven't been to Xandari, but just got back and spent two nights at Peace Lodge. We really loved it there. I would think you'd have different type of experiences at each. I looked a Xandari doing my research and it looked really nice, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. But at Peace Lodge, you have all of their "attractions" if you like that type of thing. We loved the butterfly observatory and their night time frog tour was so cool! The hike to the La Paz falls was a nice hike and if you do the full hike it can take a couple of hours, plus you get to see all of the falls (5 or 6 I think!). They have the new aviary and all of the hummingbirds and the snakes as well. It's really close to Poas Volcano, so you can take a morning trip there too. I don't know how far that is from Xandari, but I'd imagine you could go from there as well. It's about 25 minutes from Peace Lodge.

I think either would be great, but maybe more to actually "do" at Peace Lodge.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM

belarun,
Hard to say, but I'd think you could get a transfer to Arenal for about $100. I guess $40 isn't that big a deal, and maybe I'm a bit off. Just seems, for that distance, a bit steep. I do think you could find someone on this board (lots of private driver suggestions) for less. And that person would come highly recommended!
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

I think we'll do Peace Lodge. I know it's touristy but seems to have alot to offer. Besides I love Disney--I also love waterfalls. Can we find and hire a reliable driver upon arrival or should that be done in advance?Thanks all.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM

I love both of them...Xandary Plantation is closer from Juan Santamaria Int. Airport..and is just the best..

Peace Lodge..is more driving...but in my opinion has a little more "nature" to admire...

Let us know please ...where did you stay...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Hands down Peace Lodge for me -- went to both Peace Lodge & Xandari on our trip to CR, Xandari is pretty, has some nice trails & a good restaurant, but for the money, the bathrooms, the view & the nature if you could only do one I would definitely go with Peace Lodge & if you go don't miss out on the night frog tour, only $5 per person -- so much fun! Click on my screen name for my trip report (still in progress...over a month later...yikes!)
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:36 AM

We also stayed at Arenal Paraiso and liked it a lot. The rooms are nothing fancy, but it's clean, has amazing views of the volcano, with helpful, friendly staff. And when I was there in 2004 they had a hot-springs-fed pool (from which we watched the lava coming down the volcano at night), but I think they've built more hot springs pools since then.

As for transfer prices, I'm not sure if that's good or not--we mostly took Interbus from place to place, and that's usually around $40 per person.
http://www.interbusonline.com/