Rio and Morro de Sao Paulo

Feb 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Rio and Morro de Sao Paulo

Hi,

My husband and I am in the first planning stages of going to Brazil near the end of May, beginning of June. We are thinking of spending the first 2 days in Rio and then heading off to the 4th beach for some quiet and relaxation, then back to Rio again. It will be our first trip to South America so we are excited.

Anyway here are my questions:

1. From what I've read, we will need to fly from Rio to Salvador, then a Catamaran to Morro de Sao Paulo. Are there any direct flights?

2. Has anyone stayed at the Anima Hotel on Morro de Sao Paulo?

3. From what I've read on these forums,in Salvador there are a lot of annoyances and safety concerns. Would I be missing out if I skipped it?

Feb 10th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Hi Sky -

My husband is from Brazil & we spent two months there traveling all over the country. I've been to both Salvador & Morro de Sao Paulo. Salvador has a lot of African influence & different foods. They have the Pelourinho, which is the colorful old town with lots of African influence. Personally I think Rio has a lot more to offer & much better food. As for safety concerns, I wouldn't be any more worried than in any other part of Brazil. I don't think you're missing anything if you skip it.

We took the catamaran to Morro de Sao Paulo (we were then in the beg. of Jan- peak summer season). I'm not sure how much you know about the island or what is attracting you to it? We were referred by my husband's uncle who said the island is more beautiful than any beach on Jamaica - we came to find exactly the opposite is true. All of the beaches - including the 4th one which we walked to - were totally polluted with garbage & seaweed - not clean at all. The room that we rented that looked clean on the internet turned out to be a total dump. We ended up paying for it & then going to a different hotel. There is only one main street with restaurants where the food was OK, but you have to walk up pretty steep hills. There is also a prominent gay community there - don't know how you feel about that.. It also rained the entire time we were there, but even if it had been sunny I totally would've avoided this over-priced dumpy island!! But it's up to you... A lot of people do like it, I guess...

I would recommend Fernando de Noronha, north of Salvador. Skip Salvador all otgether & go there. Especially since you're going to be there during winter, Rio could be rainy & not too warm - Fernando is beautiful all year round.

I hope you have a nice trip!

Ciao!
Feb 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Angela,

I was flipping around my travel&leisure mag trying to get some ideas for a vacation and they listed Praia do Encanto as one of the best beaches. Thanks for the advice! My first choice was to go to Jericoacoara(?), but it looks very difficult to get to so this was the 2nd choice.

We're still at the beginning phase of planning so will look at Fernando de Noronha too.
Feb 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM

My husband and I just returned from Salvador where we had a two-night mini-trip to Morro de Sao Paulo.

We had a completely different experience at Morro de Sao Paulo. We stayed on the second beach at Villas dos Pedras and found it absolutely stunning and relaxing. There was always someone raking and picking up garbage, so cleanliness wasn't really an issue there for us (it was in a few areas of Salvador). There are some interesting shops and good restaurants in the town and the vendors aren't as pushy as they are in Salvador. The hills are steep, but not overbearing and there is always someone waiting at the dock to carry your bags to the hotel for a small fee. We had wished we booked our stay there for longer than 2 nights.

The catamaran is a different story. Don't take it if you have a weak stomach and if you don't like to be stuffy. I found it brutal. There is a small plane that can take you there. Even if it costs more and is also a little shaky, it is SO worth it.

I haven't been elsewhere in Brazil so I can't tell you whether or not you should skip Salvador. I think if relaxation is what you're looking for, I would recommend checking out Morro or Praia do Forte- a nice little resort town north of Salvador with an interesting Sea Turtle/Whale project. We only went there for the day, but it definitely seemed like a nice place for relaxation.

Salvador is a beautiful, historic and interesting city, but can be challenging if you're not used to excessive begging and pushiness in markets and if you don't know the language well.
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM

We visited Brazil in September & had a wonderful time. We made our travel arrangements thru brol.com & it was fairly inexpensive. Everything they arranged for us - including airport transfers which were very nice after a long flight- was handled very smoothly and professionally.
Mar 20th, 2006, 03:45 PM

I will be going to Salvador in April 2006 for work, and then my wife will be joining me for a 4 day (much deserved) holiday at Morro de Sao Paulo.

There are boats that do the journey from Salvador to Morro de SP and take about 2 hours and cost R$50 each. There are flights from Salvador to Morro for approx. R$185 each.

there are no direct flights from Rio to Morro.

If you would like, I can send you a more complete email once we return.

regards
Scott

Apr 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Hello all

I was checking prices and information to travel to Brazil last year and I've found a brazilian travel agency called http://www.braziliantravel.com where I had the best prices and services that any other travel agency had ever give me.
They have big discounts for hotels in Brazil and Argentina, I went to Rio, Iguassu, Salvador and Buenos Aires for only US$ 760.00... I was pleased with this company.
Their phone number is 1 800 671-4590

Search this Thread