Search

Guadalajara or Oaxaca?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:38 AM
hedgepath

Guadalajara or Oaxaca?

I am planning on going to Mazatlan and want to experience another city for about 3 nights. Is 3 days enough in either of the above cities? Also, which one would you recommend? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only have been i n OAxaca and I think it was a great destination. It is the right size, not big not that small, has wonderful places to visit inside the city and things to do and nearby Monte Alban is a real jewel.
May be we had such a good time, because we stayed at Las Buganvilias a very , very nice b&B more of a little inn that a B&B highly recommendable. And as a rule I do not care that much for b&b. Buena suerte.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I forgot to mention that distance is a consideration......Oaxaca seems so far from Mazatlan unless you fly.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 07:54 PM

Quite a choice: there's so much difference between Guadalajara & Oaxaca. Oaxaca is remote from Mexico's core and as a result is insular in nature having developed irs own very different personality. Its lovely Zócalo (no cars permitted) and long pedestrian only area is worth a visit. Monte Albán IS impressive.
Guadalajara is more a European city in the centre where Oaxaca's 16 different native groups definitely give it a noticeable indigena flair.
Both cities are very cultured in their own way and have many cultural experiences to offer.
If you're flying both are accessible. If you're busing Oaxaca is a long way off and Guad may be cut off from Mazatlán because of a bridge collapse this week.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:54 PM

Canadiense ([email protected]) writes:
".... If you're busing Oaxaca is a long way off and Guad may be cut off from Mazatlán because of a bridge collapse this week."
------------
That's some pretty creative geography there -- a 20 meter section of Puente Tepalcates collapsed. Puente Tepalcates is just southeast of Manzanillo on the Autopista Manzanillo-Colima, MX54. The main bus route between Mazatlan and Guadalajara is along MX15, which runs south from Mazatlan to Tepic, and then southeast from Tepic to Guadalajara. Tepic is some 450 km north of Manzanillo; between the two is MX200, which isn't an awful highway, but certainly wouldn't be a logical route or very direct route to use.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 08:03 AM

hedgepath writes:
"I am planning on going to Mazatlan and want to experience another city for about 3 nights. Is 3 days enough in either of the above cities?...."
-----
Guadalajara (and Oaxaca) definitely offer a different Mexican experience compared to Mazatlan. Unfortunately, the closer of the two, Guadalajara is an 8+ hour bus ride from Mazatlan, a pretty harsh time cost for a three day trip (even more so if you're departing the country from MZT and would need to return). Unless you plan to fly, which isn't cheap, you might give some thought to either rejuggling your travel schedule to give you more time to do either of the two cities justice, or abandoning the side trip for sometime in the future.

One additional thought is that if you're staying in the Zona Dorado in Mazatlan, you can mix up your travel experience a good deal by simply staying in Centro for a few days. The difference between the two areas is considerable, with the downtown area being part of a living, breathing, modern Mexican city, rather than a tourist construct.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:13 AM

I'm inclined to agree with the above. You might enjoy yourself more if you really got to know Matzatlan and saved another city for next time. As noted its a long haul to your other destinations, particularily Oaxaca City.