where to after taxco and oaxaca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, i'm thinking of spending 3 or 4 weeks in november/december in mexico.i want to spend about 4 or 5 days in taxco and about 2 weeks in oaxaca.any suggestions for other places??we are a family with 3 teenage kids.we don't like over touristy,resorts,etc but we like craft,markets,more mexican like places.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
Pausanias

A few days in Mexico City to start. You can visit the Zocalo, Templo Mayor and its museum, the great Museum of Anthropology, the pyramids at Teotihuacan, and several great markets. After the pace of the city the smaller towns will seem quite soothing -- at least Oaxaca did for us.

Puebla is a smart, sophisticated colonial city between MC and Oaxaca. You can visit Cholula with its buried pyramid. Lots of young people because of the University.

Merida in the Yucatan is a very lively and beautiful colonial city. You can visit Uxmal and the Puuc cities easily from there. The town closes down the streets on weekends for music and dancing. There is a covered market for buying handicrafts.

Haven't been to Taxco but my impression from the guidebooks is that five days might be too long. Oaxaca is wonderful and you could spend two months or probably two years there -- but a week would be good and then you might add another place like San Cristobal. Just an idea.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:22 AM

How about Taxco, Cuernavaca, Puebla, Oaxaca. All have interesting sights, easy traveling between all of them starting from Taxco.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM

West of Mex City is Angangueo with the Monarch Butterflies.
Also--Patzcuaro is charming (Mansion Iturbe for lodging). There are numerous villages around Patz, each known for a different type of craft: guitars, straw, copper.
Enjoy!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM

I love Guanajuato. It's a colonial town and a college town.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for the suggestions,i'm looking through my guides to see which seem good.
does anyone know if there is a bus from taxco to oaxaca?