Search

Good hotels in San Jose?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good hotels in San Jose?

Greetings, everyone.

The last time I went to Costa Rica, we avoided San Jose altogether, as we heard it was pretty grubby and not much worth seeing. So, we spent the first and last nights at two different coffee plantations 20 minutes outside the main city center.

This time, for coordination purposes, I think I need to stay closer. Does anyone have good recommendations for a nice, if not too expensive, hotel in San Jose proper?

Thanks!
kaz
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM

We liked Grano de Oro; it's built in an old mansion - great restaurant on-site, great service, and nice rooftop garden with hot tubs.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 01:58 AM

For a moderate price hotel, in '06 we liked Hotel La Rosa, not too far from airport. www.larosadeamerica.com
I see in website photos it looks identical still.

For coordinating to airport, it's on same side of SJ, so convenient. First trip to CR and didn't speak Spanish, and hotel owner that was ex-American very helpful in advice and arranging taxi for an early morning flight out etc.; both after arriving and in emails before our trip. Although i see the hotel has changed hands.

We spent total of 5 nights with 3 nights at beginning and 2 nights at end, before early flight out.

As for avoiding SJ, on the contrary to some advice, wife and I both really loved it, having one day there in the city at end of trip after having seen parts of the country. To get some Latin American city culture.

On free days at beginning, it was a nice drive (car rental company brought the car there to the hotel) to... there's a well-known waterfalls park within about an hour and good with kids too; and also did the nearby Cafe Britt coffee tour.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Check out Hotel Don Carlos located by the Jade Museum and a short distance away from the National Theater, Cultural Plaza, Central Market, etc.

www.doncarloshotel.com

We are staying there in a few weeks, gets good recommendations on this forum.

I'm not sure if you are trying to coordinate airport or downtown activities, but this would be considered downtown.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:28 AM

I forgot to post the website

www.granodeoro.com in case you're interested. Happy travels!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM

We also loved Hotel Grano de Oro and recommended it to friends who did as well.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 08:30 AM

I liked the Holiday In and the Best Western. My only complaint was the hard beds.

I liked the pedestrian only shopping street in downtown San Jose. One advantage of staying downtown.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 08:46 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Don Carlos for one night this past summer and liked it a lot. It was very reasonably priced. The room we had was very big - we had their family room, which was actually 2 adjoining rooms sharing one bathroom. We had snacks and dinner there and the food was fine. It's an old historic feeling buidling - we enjoyed our short time there.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

these are great suggestions! thanks, everyone!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Hotel Don Carlos is great and is convenient for walking distance some major sights as posted above. Also a good location if you're heading out on Interbus or for a tour like rafting the next day. Supposedly their gift shop is one of the best in the country.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:33 AM

We have always enjoyed the Don Carlos (although it can be a little noisy, depending on the room's proximity to the outside traffic). Recently we stayed at the Hotel Brittania (near the Don Carlos) and really liked it. It was very nice, just a little more $$--not much.

We would not hesitate to stay at Grano de Oro--it has always gotten great reviews. It is in our plans for this coming summer.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Anyone have an opinion on Gran Hotel Costa Rica (good or bad)? I've contacted Don Carlos for the days I'll be in San Jose and they're already booked, so I need another alternative. I think Gran Hotel received good reviews from Fodor's.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM

www.thealtahotel.com my fav

from $100 specials www.expedia.com

stayed at Grano D'Oro downtown good

food rooms not as nice for price

than the Alta better located.

Get comp airport xport from the Alta

too more of a boutique choice...
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM

As for the Gran Hotel Costa Rica, it wouldn't be my choice. The location is pretty cool, there on the Plaza de la Cultura, across from the Teatro, but I think it would be noisy, right in the smack dab center of town.

They have done a lot of renovating in the past couple of years. Not sure how the rooms are now. Haven't stayed, but we always stop for some arroz con pollo, cappucino, etc--out on the patio.

Still would recommend you check out the Brittania. It is about 4 blocks walk to this Plaza de la Cultura.