Getting around in Argentina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I will be in Argentina for a month this August. Since we have a good amount of time, we want to see all we can, but we are curious about getting around in this rather large country. We'll fly in and out of BA, and we'd like to include Iguazu, Cordoba, Mendoza and maybe Salta. We'd also like to get down to Ushuaia. We realize that we'd have to fly that far South, but what about the other cities? Are the distances too far between each city to rely on buses/trains? If so, is it possible to get inexpensive flights? Any thoughts on what definitely should not be missed? Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:50 PM

A few comments. Yes, distances within Argentina are long. But what you should be aware of especially is that Buenos Aires is the only air hub within the country. To get from one place to another by plane, you'll have to connect flights in Buenos Aires (sometimes it's in the way, sometimes it isn't).
Being the main long distance transportation, buses are really good. Think of an airline business class, that you could get. Reclinable seats, on board meals, coffee, some old movie.

Bus rides from Buenos Aires:
to Cordoba 10 hours
to Mendoza 12-14 hours
to Iguazu 18 hours
to Salta 22-23 hours

There are SOME bus services between those cities. E.g. from Mendoza to Cordoba, and from there to Salta.

Train is not an option (in fact, the only of all these cities served by train is Cordoba, only once a week).

As for flights, I'm afraid you will be stuck with either Aerolineas Argentinas or LAN. To Salta you can try Andes, it can be cheaper.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Andes is really inexpensive, and it worths to come to Salta, do not miss the SAlt Flats and Purmamarca and Cafayate... The scenery is really amazing... You will never regret!
Flintstones.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM

If you need a reliable agent for your flights in Argentina, I could recommend Isabel who I know by reference of some people I met. [email protected]
Flintstones
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 01:28 AM

Isabel has also been very helpful in this forum.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:38 AM

I rode down through Argentina last year on a small Honda (coming from Mexico). Excellent modern busses raced passed me where ever and I talked with passengers and crew at service stations and at cafes in the evenings. The passengers were very satisfied. Yes, distances are huge. So is the interest factor. As to Aero Argentina - I had to fly to BA from Ushuaia: the service reminded me of the old days in the USSR. Take a bus!
You might find something of interest on my Blog (www.simongandolfi.blogspot.com). The Argentina section starts October 4. However I am in my seventies, so may have different travel priorities. Next trip straight up! Message me if you thinlk that I can help with furthert information. Take care, simon
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:16 AM

Ah Simon,

There are many ways to travel and loved your contribution - but you should know that most posters on this board are too scared to venture out of their 5 star hotel room without a guide. The thought of even finding the bus station would be too much for them, never mind actually taking a bus. Oh, much too dangerous.!

But the OP may be different.

OP - if money is no object then fly point to point - you'll miss plenty but you will see the "must see's" as defined here.

If money is an object, and you have the time - then pick and choose. fly some and bus some, depending on price and distance.

If it helps any, it is certainly no big deal to get from Salta to Iguazu by bus - with a few (enjoyable) stops in between.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much (Simon and others) for the valuable information! We certainly don't mind taking buses, and we are independent travelers who prefer to travel without guides. We need to watch our money, but could maybe do both - buses and a few flights. Perhaps Isabel can help us with the flights. Where would you definitely fly to, and where would you take the bus? An overnight bus sounds ideal for some of the longer trips... are they available? Thanks so much! -Erin
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Erin, yes there are overnight buses, in fact for long distances they are the rule more than the exception.
Try to get CAMA accomodation (=bed seats reclinable to a 140-150° angle), or more expensive CAMA SUITE (also known as Servicio Ejecutivo, or First Class depending on the company), which are almost fully reclinable.
Semi Cama seats are cheaper, and recline as Cama, but they are pretty narrow for long rides.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you purizio! Do you know if I would be able to book CAMA bus seats online, ahead of time?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I don't think very many of the bus services, if any, offer online booking. You pretty much have to show up at their counter or a travel kiosk (there are a few scattered in various locations in the city that book bus reservations), and pay on the spot, usually recommended a day or two in advance.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM

We are leaving for AR in March '07. We have received a lot of help booking flights within the country by Andrea ([email protected]). We have also used South American Explorers extensively (SAExplorers.org) for both this trip and our trip to Peru several years ago. They have wonderful trip reports for its members.