salta o buenos aires?

Nov 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

salta o buenos aires?

I am going to argentina to work for an NGO and have been asked if i want to be in salta or buenos aires for the 2 months.ive heard excellent but diverse things about both places.i want to experience the "real" argentina and love scenery, but i also love to bailar...which would you recommend to stay in for an extended period of time?
Nov 18th, 2006, 01:41 PM

BsAs is a large international city while Salta is much smaller and more relaxed. Both cities offer advantages/disadvantages, but it is hard to recommend without knowing your preferences. Scenery of mountains, natural beauty and native people makes Salta highly recommended while BsAs has great architecture, museums, famous leather shopping, tango clubs, etc. etc. if that is what you enjoy.
Nov 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM

in considering Salta, you need to be sure that you would take the time to get out into the surrounding countryside. You would need some weekend trips (and even better some extended weekends) to really benefit from living there, IMO.

Nov 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Check the Argentina forum for two recent posts, one a trip report on Salta by someone who didn't much enjoy it, the other by an American woman DTnPDX who is there now and having a great time. Gives you some ideas about what is happening there. Buen viaje.
Nov 18th, 2006, 05:54 PM

VP cmcfong means check the tripadvisor.com Argentina forum.
Nov 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM

lasarita: what time of the year would this be?
Nov 19th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Having read some of the reviews on salta is seems to highly recommended by most people. ive spent 8months in peru before and the airline and hotel complaints of the main report critising salta made me feel nostalgically warm towards the chaotic latin lifestyle rather than put off!

salta does sound excellent and the beauty and traditional argentinian lifestyle appeal to me. however, i am also intreged by the great deal of people declaring their love for BsA and its vibrance.i am only 20,and with the appeal of wine and culture of salta, are most of the travellers there older? is there a scene for youths? i don't want to become bored in Salta if i am there for a few months. BsA seems to have a world renound nightlife, however im not really the crazy party traveller type either.i know i seem fussy but i am really not..i'd probably be happy in either place and i feel almost spoilt for choice deciding between two places that are so highly recommended! im not really concerned(or financially capable) of experiencing theatre, high class culture or excellent dining; more importantly i want to leave argentina feeling like ive really experienced and become involved in an aspect of argentinian life.

with this in mind, do you salta or Buenos Aires would be more suited to my aims?

i will be there may-august. is that a good time of year for salta/buenos aires?

Nov 19th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Lo siento! Thank you, AV Rooster for making sense of my post and correcting the omission.
Nov 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM

you might want to post this also on TripAdvisor, because my sense is that there are alot of Portenos (people who live in BsAs) who post there, and they could probably help you better.

Don't know where you're coming from, but if the exchange rate is good for you with the peso, I wouldn't worry too much about affording Argentina.

In Salta, there were always alot of people out at night. There is one street in particular (Balcarce) which is really lively, and has music every night in the penas. Beyond the restaurants and the music on this street, I don't know if there are other things going on at night, though, such as dancing. (there might be; I just don't know from my experience)

In the Salta area, you get both kinds of tourists. It is a popular region for the backpacking crowd, and becoming better known to the middle aged tourist (hate to say it, but that's me!) It is not that well known in the States, which to me was a plus, as I felt like we had made our "own" discovery. We ran into only one US couple the whole time we were there, and they were Fodorites in the know like us!

However, I do have to say that I think that BsAs would be as much the "real" Argentina as Salta, just a different experience.

In BsAs, there are plenty of cultural and dining experiences that are inexpensive and perfect for a 20 year old! when we were in BsAs, we went dancing in the basement of the Armenian cultural center. Most people were dressed very casually (jeans) and it was really cheap to get in. There were people of all ages, young and old. People were there to dance,and not wild partying. This was in the Palermo Soho neighborhood, where you would likely often find yourself if you live there!
Nov 19th, 2006, 07:33 AM

I am no expert in Salta , but it seems to me that there you might have a better chance to intigrate better into the social life of this small but charming city. However I have heard that Salta society is composed of old families. How open they would be to an American 20 year old I do not know, but I would say that there is a good chance that you find the way to get the right contacts meet them and enjoy their way of life. As someone said you must be able to travel around, and know beautiful little towns and landscapes around Salta.
Personally I would take the chance because I imagine that it will be easier to visit later Buenos Aires or even to live there. Salta is very unique and it will be in a way a back to the future experience.
Nov 19th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks guys. i really appreciate your advice.
Nov 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Many people come to Salta, young,middle-aged, and seniors and they all enjoy Salta and the nightlife. I am confident you will fall in love with this city as soon as you find it safe, active and charming.
The colonial archetecture is very itneresting, the History and the food. Do not expect humbergers except in MC.Donald, but the delicious empanadas.
Warm regards.
Flintstones
Nov 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Lasarita,
If you decide to go to Salta, I have an old friend with daughters in your age range. If you are interested, I could put you in e-mail contact with them. Just send me an e-mail to [email protected].
Roberto
Nov 20th, 2006, 10:44 AM

You see lasarita, it seems easier than it looked to
find the way into Salta.....siberia ba has been very kind
in my experience tthere is often an unexpected open hand. I moved to New York when I was very young I found many opens hands from generous Americans.
Nov 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Sorry I mean, I moved to New York City when I was very young and found many open hands from generous Americans. The best of luck to you.
Nov 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Yes, lasarita, people in Salta are very open, nice and polite. People in the "inner Argentina", as many porteños, are very nice and like making friend, specially if you are from abroad, it will not be difficult for you. And feel free to phone for help( from Salta 4280861). I would be pleased to help you anytime.
Warm regards.
Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

hi, thanks very much for all your help. salta sounds like an excellent choice. i really appreciate your offers of help 'flinstone' and 'siberia_ba' and will probably be in contact nearer the time of going there.

many thanks
Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM

Thanks for letting us know your decision! Always good to find out what people decide after posting on the forums. Very jealous of your opportunity. Don't miss seeing the countryside! My favorites were Purmamarca and the trip to Cachi. We only had a very short time, so you will be able to really explore!
Dec 4th, 2006, 03:35 AM

Do not be jealous, Skatedancer, you sitll have a lot in the NW, you can come anytime. Hope to meet you for some empanadas! I am sure you enjoyed them with some wine.
Much love
Flintstones