Best way to travel Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Etc.

Jun 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Best way to travel Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Etc.

We are looking at an October trip and would arrive in Buenos Aires, head to Mendoza, then to Salta Area; then a return to Buenos Aires. What options are there to travel between these points -- we could also flip them and start in Salta, then on to Mendoza. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We have already been to the Falls so this is a new area of Argentina that we would like to explore.
Jun 29th, 2006, 03:41 AM

I would like to go to Buenos Aires, en Argentina... It must be a very beautiful country! I try to ameliorate my spanish to go there!

www.valenciaestademoda.com
Jun 30th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Pipi,

What especially did you like in Cordoba? We are looking for activity as well as wine tasting (hiking, rafting, biking). Is any of that available there?
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM

Your options are either to fly, take the bus, or drive. I wouldn't recommend the latter - you're passing through a lot of rough country - if you want to see it, I'd take the bus between the various locatoins. You didn't say how much time you'd allotted for your trip. By the way, if you didn't see it, there was a great article on Salta in today's New York Times - http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/07/0...el/02next.html
Jul 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM

I was in Argentina last year in Mendoza, and traveled between Mendoza and BsAs twice. The first time I took at 16 hour bus both ways and it cost about 90 pesos or 30 dollars. Most bus companies cost about the same and take between 12 and 16 hours to get to Buenos Aires from Mendoza. I've never been to Salta so I can't help you with that, but if I remember correctly it's somewhat between BsAs and Mendoza. So you might want to start in Buenos Aires or Mendoza and not Salta.

The second time I went from Mendoza to Buenos Aires it was one way, and I decided to fly. My flight for one way was about 100 pesos. The trip was only an hour long. To me it was worth it to spend a little more and save 15 hours. The trick is not to use Aerolineas Argentinas, you could fly Southwestern or maybe even LAN chile for less. If you are a student you could book through a travel agent (this is how I did it, so you could do it another way but I don't know how it would work!) and it is still cheaper than buying directly from Aerolineas.

Also, a good bus company is Andesmar. I wouldn't recommend El Rapido. Good luck!

let me know if I can help any more. I love Argentina and talking about it!
Jul 11th, 2006, 11:20 AM

LOng distances between Buenos Aires- Mendoza - Salta! Salta is a really good option! Beautiful rock formations, colourful mountains nice weather and the best wine. Warm people, delicious food, great time. Sometimes not everything can be seen, in this case take Iguazu - Salta instead of Mendoza. From there you can also visit Jujuy and the Salt Flats - Quebrada de Humahuaca... Do not miss the NW of Argentina!
Best regards.
Flints
Jul 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM

The thread is about travelling between Buenos Aires Mendoza and Salta.
E A S Y !!!!
excellent service Buenos Aires- Mendoza. dinner, reclinable seats.
excellent service Mendoza-Salta.
dinner reclinable seats.

enjoy it.

and to add sth really nice to your trip:
from Salta to Buenos Aires by bus , stop in Cordoba for 2 nights and enjoy one of the nicest provinces we have.

Jul 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Just finished putting the various pieces of our upscale trip in Spring '06 their's) together.
Fly everywhere except maybe the sailing Bariloche-Ensenanda.
M (SMdA, Gto., MX)
Jul 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Greetings, my friends and I are headed to BA in late November. We are building our trip and wondering how much is it to fly from BA to Bariloche? We plan to see BA, the falls and hopefully include Bariloche. Any recommendations are welcome!
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:10 PM

MIKEMO

what did you want to say here?
"Fly everywhere except maybe the sailing Bariloche-Ensenanda.
M (SMdA, Gto., MX)"

KAS 1218
Buenos Aires Iguazu Buenos Aires
u$s 200 each pax.
Buenos Aires Bariloche Buenos Aires
u$s 274 each pax.

my humble recommendation.
Buenos Aires Bariloche Calafate Buenos Aires
u$s 463 each pax.

Bus conections in the north are nicer and less tiring than the ones in the south.

Buses can take you everywhere and sometimes economize time if they are night buses. They also give tourists the possibility to stop for 2 days in another city, giving the the chance to know the country.

The ride Buenos Aires-Mendoza is a good one and the service is super!!!
Mendoza-Salta has an excellent service and good timetable.
Mendoza is a wonderful city in a wonderful area but Salta is much more than that. Salta-Jujuy is really a Must for locals/tourists who have discovered it just recently

Salta-Buenos Aires can be broken into 2: Salta-Cordoba (strong recom: this is such a wonderful province!!!!!)
and then after visiting it
Cordoba-to the big city Buenos Aires again by bus.

hope it helped.

Jul 15th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Thanks for your great suggestions!!
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM
EPC

We were in BA last March and loved it. We flew to Mendoza which was great and visited many of the wineries, did white water rafting and loved it all. This Christmas/New Years we want to go back! We are deciding between BA (might be way too hot to do all the shopping we would love to do) Bariloche ?, Salta?, Iguazu (very hot and humid in Dec.)?, Calafate ? (not great hikers), or Carmello Uruguay at the Four Seasons? We donot plan on doing them all just one or two but I am having trouble deciding and planning the itinerary. We will have about 9-10 days. Please help with any suggestions? Also where is the best place to spend New Years Eve? I think we will end up BA at that time to get our flight home to NY. Help!!
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:09 AM
EPC

oh...sorry we also are considering PUnta de Este????