Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

First time to PV - 2 hotel choices - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Manny

We are trying to decide between the Crowne Paradise and the Qualton Club. Any advice, experiences, etc?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Manny

Has anyone stayed at one of these hotels? Maybe you know someone who has?<BR><BR>I have to make the reservation soon - this is for July - I can look at their sites and read their brochures but that is not the same as firts hand (or second or third) experience.<BR><BR>Please!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Clarisa

(Sorry can't help but since you posted twice, I will answer).<BR><BR>I go to PV 1-2 times each year, as do many of my friends. We all prefer to stay in "old town south of the river" or El Centro (downtown) at a variety of different hotels, B&B's, etc. I don't know anyone who likes the huge resorts, The Marina, or the hotel zone area (granted that's not to say that plenty of people don't go there & like it fine... just not anyone I know personally).

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Manny

Thank you for the reply. I am shocked that no one here has any advice about these two hotels. It seems there are so many posts on Puerto Vallarta. But thanks anyway. I was starting to feel like I was being ignored. (just kidding)

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:25 PM
loangalsal

There are so many hotels in PV, and I have only stayed in 2 of them (Krysatl & Camino Real). So even though many of us go to PV, maybe not many have stayed at these 2 you are considering.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Clarisa

Agreeing with above poster where we stay & what we know about Puerto Vallarta hotels.<BR><BR>Although I've spent 14 vacations in the past 10 years in PV, I've never even seen the places out in the Hotel Zone (except to zoom thru in a taxi at the start and end of each trip).<BR><BR>I first stayed at Posada de Roger, then "moved up" to Casa Andrea. I've seen rooms friends had at Quinta Maria Cortez, Tropicana, Molino de Agua, Posada Rio Cuale, Hotel Alegre. Visited lobbies and snooped around at Hotel Eloisa, Gaviotos Vallarta, Posada Lily, Hotel Encino, Frankfurt, Azteca, Yasmine, Playa Los Arcos, Vallarta Sun Suites.<BR><BR>I think you're not getting response because these two hotels are very mainstream, probably most often booked though a package deal or by a travel agents. People who post on the travel BB's are maybe a bit more independent with their choices and arrangements.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:14 PM
John K

Hi Manny,<BR>You will get some feedback about these hotels if you put "crowne paradise" and "qualton Club" in the TEXT SEARCH box on this page. Hope that helps.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Sas

Manny - hope this isn't too late. If you want more info on PV hotels & general information I would suggest the following website which is solely dedicated to that area of Mexico:<BR>http://pub69.ezboard.com/btodopuertovallarta<BR>Lots of very helpful people that visit the area regularly as well as folks that live there frequent this site. You'll get lots of great tips there. Good luck !

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Manny

Thanks everyone. Good suggestions. And I agree that they are more "mainstream". That must be the problem. Thanks again.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Lisa

Hello there! I just back from 9 days at the Qualton and absolutely Loved it! Not sure about Crowne Paradise but the Qualton was perfect for us. First of all we got a really good deal which made it an incredible value.The people that work there were wonderful the food for the most part was fantastic (and we are used to really great food...) the setup was very nice and super clean although not fancy at all. They do shows every evening that were pretty entertaining and have activities scheduled throughout the day including water aerobics, Marenga dance lessons, beach volleyball etc. Also have great Step, Taebo, Pilates etc. classes at their gym. It depends on what you are into but I loved having the activities and being able to get a little workout in to sweat out all the Coronas and Tequila! I also loved getting out of the Hotel Zone (super cheap and easy from Hotel)to check out many other areas including Downtown, Old Town, South of Town, the Malecon, the jungle, Punta Mita and others! We also went over to the Krystal Hotel which is very close to the Qualton to use there pools (6 of them) one day and i got an amazing 75 minute massage in a hut on the beach there for $30. All the rooms have ocean views and again are very clean and respectable! I don't know if you will be traveling with children but they have a kids club available also. We had our 3 and 5 year olds with us but they opted not to bother with the club too much. For the price we loved it and plan on going back there again as soon as possible! Hope this helps!Let me know if there is anything else more specific you are wondring about, Lisa

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:10 PM
xxxx

For another review on the Qualton from someone who was not impressed with it, go to www.puertovallarta.net, scroll to bulletin boards and look under hotel reviews there.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Lisa

Me again! I just read the qualton review<BR>on the puerto vallarta site mentioned last by [email protected]. One thing that really must be mentioned is that you do need to be aware that this is not a 5 star resort by any stretch of the imagination!! I knew this going in but know that many people don't. realize this is like a Mexican 5 stars given by who knows?!? I met some people who were sent to the Qualton from another hotel because of an overage and were told it was a 5 star blah blah blah and they told me that if this is a 5 star the hotel we were just at must be an 8 star! My mom who was with us part of the time had just spent a week at the Four Seasons in Hawaii and loved and enjoyed the down to earth Qaulton! Alittle extreme I know... Also when we were there it was not that busy in the pool or anywhere really. Not like they posted. I also loved the food/drink shack on the beach and well the vendors are just Everywhere on the Beach without any real preference of one Hotel or another! I personally think they can be fun and are just part of the scene you can do nothing about. Anyway, if I thought I was going to a 5 star I would have been appalled too but I give it a good 3 stars with a major E for effort.