Search

few days in Manaus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
few days in Manaus

We are traveling extensively in brazil and will be in Manaus for only 3 days. Wife gets reaction to bites.When we arrive at the airport is it possible to be picked up by one of the moderate jungle hotel sites, say the Ariau Amazon Tower Hotel(could not find a wed site for them).Would they transport us back to the airport. Any other recomendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
Caylum
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking. Tropical is partner with them , etc. We are going to Ariau in 2 wks.
http://www.ariautowers.com/

we booked our stay on each end at the Tropical with the Ariau agent and we prepaid.
Our pkg (luxurylink.com) included all meals, taxes and transfers for Ariau and airport. It's a very good deal and the availability is pretty sure. hope that helps.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM

sorry--forgot about the bites. do you have yellow fever vaccine? always carry antihistamine like benadryl--if it's severe, ask your doctor about epi-pen. there aren't a lot of bugs on the rio negro, but I'm not sure about the rest of the areas where you're going. taxi is approx $50 Brasil reals one way airport to tropical
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM

HI! There,

I would definetelly not reccomend you to stay in Ariau Amazon tower.This place has capacity for about 500 Paxs,right now there are atleast 100 people per day try to find some thing better than ariau.

Theres nothing to see there,not much wild life,theres local guides but not even 1 can speak a good english and does not have much knowlodge about fauna and flora.Arriving in Manaus very carefull with free lancer guides inside of the airport is better dont accept any help from them go directly to the tourist office inside of the airport and once again,avoid free lancers once you pay you never see your money.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Caylum,

We stayed at Ariau about 8 years ago, it was the coolest trip I've ever taken! Just a fantastic experience with great guides.

How are they transporting you to the Hotel? It would have to be by Helicopter or boat down the river (we took a boat from Manaus). If I recall it didn't take more than a few hours, and it was a rickety old boat!

I know when we went we got shots, we took Lirium for Malaria, but I don't recall the bugs being bothersome at all. However, that said, there are a lot of bugs. Big bugs. Bugs the size of Buicks. I took insect repellant and went around the entire perimeter of my bed (My husband was laughing at me, asking me what the hell I was doing).

I kept my shoes next to the bed and trudged to the bathroom in the dark, when I turned the light on it was like that Expedia commercial...there were literally frogs stuck to the walls.

This isn't a trip for prima donnas, but it was probably the best trip I've ever taken.

We saw beautiful pink dolphins, went Pirahna fishing (and ate pirhna), picked up some baby alligators, saw settlements down river, went on jungle hikes.

I spoke with some people from Ariau last month at the Adventure Travel show in NYC and they said they've made a lot of "improvements", like concrete walkways. I kind of liked the wooden walkways myself.

Any other questions, just ask!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM

PS, our guide at Ariau spoke excellent English, I even have a photo of him!

I suspect the poster disparaging Ariau might be a competitor?
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM

nina--I would be interested in any additional comments--we are leaving this sat 23rd thru panama. I am guessing that is theperson who dissed Ariau in tripadvisor--maybe they used to work there?
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM

We stayed at The Tropical, very nice hotel, and hired a guide with a motor launch for a threee day foray up the Rio Negra and the Solimoes (Amazon)...fantastic, visited native villages in an outboard canoe, navigated many tributaries with outstanding bird life, etc. fished for piranha and ate them also, hunted baby alligators in the wee hours of the monring..great cook on board. We originally booked a 16-passenger riverboat which was cancelled and the guide was sent to meet us at the Tropical with a four passenger motor launch.

He asked if we and another stranded passenger would hire him which we did on the spot...his name is Francesco Silva...if you want his cooordinates, please write to me...
I can also send you some scanned pix since it was before we went digital.

Stu T.
[email protected]
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM

p.s. Guide promised we wouldn't be harrassed by mosquitoes and bugs. Not a one!
stu t.