Search

Zipline for me??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zipline for me??

Since I have a fear of heights I've assumed that the zipline experience is out for me. Yet, I've been reading posts that make me think I should try it. Do you really get to see anything up there or are you just flying through the air until you land at the next platform? Has anyone who really has a fear of heights actually done it? By the way, I hate ferris wheels.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM

I think in general that everyone is a bit apprehensive when they do their first zipline.

This is a "little" different than riding a ferris wheel!!

No, you really do not see much ,when you ride from one platform to the other, except for the rain forest floor, if there is one below.

You do look around as you ride from one platform to the next..it is just that you do not see much.....it is the thrill of the ride and makes ziplining so appealing !

I would just say that for your first attempt , do a simple zipline and not one of those long and high ones!

Percy

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Yes, I'm one of those--have quite a problem with it. Paralysis, dizziness, etc.

The key for me was to arm myself with knowledge beforehand. I was able to speak with a guide (2 of them in fact) who both walked me through all the steps BEFORE I decided to go for it. I was able to do it with the rest of our family and had visualized it so many times that it didn't seem much of a big deal at all. The trees below help with the perception of height, and you really do zip right along!

More than anything, I didn't trust myself to act responsibly in case I got into some kind of "situation". I've done it a couple of times (only once with one of the main companies with lots of cables). I was afraid I would panic and do something really nutso. I didn't. The instructions were very helpful. And if you get "in trouble", which is TRULY not likely, the guides can come to you and assist you. Heck, they can even "snuggle" you across on all the zips if you think you can't go it alone.

Tico men are nice looking--could be interesting!

You'll like it, I'm betting! It's a nice rush!

Reading back through your first sentence, don't assume it is OUT for you! I wouldn've done the same if I hadn't been determined that this was going to be a FAMILY experience and no "weenie-mom". I still won't parasail, but I'm okay with the zips now! You can be, too!

If push comes to shove, and you really don't think it's a possibility for you--don't sweat it! There's plenty of stuff you WILL enjoy!

And I don't like ferris wheels either--hate being on top and getting stopped! Can't stand any movement at all in those little cars. Hate it when people make them rock--in fact I get quite agitated. QUITE.
However, I make myself do ferris wheels and roller coasters and other stuff like that--just because I think it's good for me to make myself do them! I may be weird?
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I have a very significant fear of heights and I managed to do the zipline at Arenal Paraiso. When I got on the first platform and looked out and realized how high up it was, I totally freaked. Like crying freaked. But I desperately wanted to do it, mostly because I've always felt so controlled by my fear of heights and I suppose I wanted to overpower that. In the end I was able to do it, mainly thanks to the guide, Raphael (I still remember his name 2 years later), who was so good and kind in explaining everything and when I was still to nervous to go on my own, he attached his harness to mine and we went together and he handled all the breaking and other technical stuff and I just basically hung on and took in the astounding views. When I was done I felt this amazing sense of accomplishment because even a 2-storey balcony scares me but I was able to do the zipline! I encourage you to give it a try, it's an amazing experience.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM

The 2 times I have done it I saw litlle to nothing other than tree tops and on one trip a few birds but I was going so fast I could not even tell you if it was white, yellow or light blue, At 2 platforms while waiting for the next line I saw 2 howler monkeys but I saw those from the ground as well. I can tell you first hand that if you don't keep a very tight grip you might stop mid-way through a run and a guide will shimmy out and tow you easily to the next patform. That was on a 14 line trip, Surprising I have a 2 engine plane and handle it like a champ.So you decide. If you can find a 3/4-1 mile canopy trip that goes through several atmosphere layers you will see more and maybe enjoy it.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM

A loose grip will help you zip along faster. If you grip too tightly (pulling on the cable) you'll actually be braking yourself. That's when you're likely to stop in mid-cable. So just let your gloved hand lay loosely atop the cable behind you (slight pressure) until you are near the end of the cable. The guides will be advising you about this!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM

My husband has a fear of heights and went on the zipline in Arenal with our kids. He said it was one of the most terrifying experiences of his life and he would never do it again (but the boys loved it!)
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:35 AM

I also am afraid of heights. I went with my four friends in Feb. at a place near Arenal. Two of us had no intention of really going but once we got there we got caught up in the excitment. We geared up and did two practice runs. I just could not do it. My friend who also had fears did go and now she is hooked. She loved it so much as did the other three. Would I try again? I can't say I wouldn't try again. I am going to Nicaragua in a couple of weeks and have a canopy tour booked.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I am also afraid of heights. I hate being on a ski lift and ferris wheels. I loved the zipline, however. My family did Sky Trek in Monteverde. The scariest part for me was climbing the first metal tower to the platform. It is pretty high and seems to move with the wind. I think there were a couple other metal platforms that were also quite scary. But the actual zipline itself was awesome. I loved the feeling of soaring across the tree tops and landing on the other side. I did not want to go to Costa Rica and then regret that I didn't dare do the zipline and I am so glad I did it. Good Luck!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:09 AM

My mother (67 years of age) agreed to try Sky Trek in Arenal last year. She is truly terrified of heights and got very nervous as we were gearing up to head to the first platform. Our guide, Marcos was wonderful with her and she took him up on his offer to go in tandem with her. She ended up feeling really proud of herself for seeing it through and enjoyed the experience much more than she thought she would!

For the CR enthusiasts here, I really liked Sky Trek. The platforms offer sweeping vistas of the lake and Volcan Arenal. I remember the trees whizzing past, but had nice long perspectives of the lake and other scenery in front of me. Also, at Sky Trek, you don't use your hand to brake. The lines sort of dip down at an angle as they approach each platform and you drop your legs to slow your momentum. One of the guides always goes first and then basically 'catches' each person as they come in for a landing.

You should give it a try, cpcd! It really sort of is almost a rite of passage! It will give you tremendous bragging rights with the folks back home!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Rite of Passage. . hadn't thought of it that way, but it's true in a sense. Certainly was for me on our first trip ever back in 2001. I wasn't about to chicken out in front of our 19 year old, 21 year old, and 24 year old! It was one of the best vacations (if not THE best) our family ever took, and that day was particularly special!
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:43 AM

I have a different view of zip lines in C.R. I find this touristy silliness a complete waste, not to mention the negative impact it has on the surroundings. Zip lines are not eco friendly. The trees they mount the ladders and platforms to do harm, as well as the cable system. You have tourists screaming and yelling, and the loud noise the cable carrier makes as it slides along.
Do you think the birds, monkeys, and other wildlife find this natural? The impact on serene nature is rape in the 1st degree. Do you really need to turn developing countries into amusement parks? And if so, wouldn't it be a bit more appropriate to get our thrills in the country that we come from? That way, we leave the country we're visiting as they were, to be enjoyed for their uniqueness and different lifestyle than the one we left behind at home.
I boycott nature disrupting activities like zip lines or anything else that doesn't respect the natural world, seeking to alter it for mere entertainment. Go to Disney World for that.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:08 AM

So then, where do you draw the line? Paths & trails in natural parks are technically altering the landscape for enjoyment, so are ziplines, so are atv's, waterfall rapelling and so on. I go to CR to enjoy the scenery, the people and the wildlife, and yes have done a few ziplines too - had a blast. Of course, everyone here is entitles to their opinions
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM

Well I do not think thatthe Costa Ricans found the zopline tours "silly"

If fact they are happy to have it as it is a tourist attrraction and Toursim is the Number 1 industry...no coffee is not #1

Also many local and private tours guides will tell you, "You cannot leave Costa Rica without doing a zipline tour."
So they do promote it a lot..it is good for business, in a country that relies heavily on the tourist dollar ( colone)!

As tully has mentioned you would have to stop building those skywalk bridges,
Leave the waterfalls alone, stop taking boat rides down the Tempisque River to see the White Faced monkeys,

Don't go hiking in April ,during the mating season of the lovely Quetzul, gee can't this bird even try to "mate" without all of us watching her.

But pajoso, I fully understand where you are coming from.
Thank you for a different point of view.
Percy

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:16 PM

The OP asked "do you really get to see anything up there or are you just flying through the air until you land at the next platform?" If speaking of wildlife, what can you possibly see at 15-40 mph, 70 feet off the ground screaming for your dear life as the next platform approaches, nailed to an old tree, that used to be home to monkeys...the wildlife has fled the zip line, tarzan swing, canopy tours...believe me.
One can do a favor, and hire a guide to accompany you in the early morning when the jungle and forest is alive before the heat and strong sunlight, you will be on small trails or footpaths, and moving slowly and observing nature in a respectful way, and with a much superior perspective than zip lines.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:05 AM

Though at SkyTrek we did see some howler monkeys on the way up on the tram and at Canopy Safari saw some spider monkeys I've personally never done a zipline with the intention of seeing wildlife, I go to the Osa for that.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:15 AM

I stand corrected. Shillmac is correct. It is a tight grip that slows you down. that is caused by panic or concern that you will come unhinged or not reach the next platform. Actually with the tight grip you can stop completly and unless you are a pro cannot re-start but as I said one of the guides comes out and shimmmes you to the next platform, you just hold on to him.Once you get the idea you can get some exhilleration but in my opinion you do not see anything much. A medium roller coaster is more exciting.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:24 PM

OR you can hand over hand haul your butt in yourself! LOL!

No, I agree it isn't for wildlife viewing.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM

Well , finally shillmac is correct!!!oops I,m getting out of here before she reads this.

Percy
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I join in your celebration! It happens less and less these days. . .!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -