Search

Monteverde instead of Manuel Antonio???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monteverde instead of Manuel Antonio???

Hi,

I have been planning our first trip to Costa Rica for months- hotels reservations, car rental, flights are all set but now am wondering if we should do Manuel Antonio instead of Montezuma?
We arrive at SJO on 16 April then head to Arenal for 4 days, three days in Monteverde and 3 days at Montezuma. Does this seem okay? Am I needlessly obsessing over this?? Are we missing out?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Hey there, sounds like you have quite a trip planned. Manual Antonio is absolutly beautiful. It has a beautiful beach, lots of wildlife, and a hiking trail. We saw monkeys, iguanas, and sloths while we visited. I didn't spend a lot of time in Monteverde while I was there. But I have to say I enjoyed Manuel Antonio better. As far as Arenal, look into doing a night time lava tour which can be set up by your lodge. The volcano, and the hot springs are nice and relaxing as well. Enjoy!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 04:03 AM

From your title and then the context I am not sure if you are considering dropping Monteverde or Montezuma?

But you probably are needlessly obsessing. Unfortunately no matter what you choose you will be missing out on something. It is just that way in CR. Costa Rica offers so many varied opportunities that it is totally impossible not to miss something. Thus the reason that so many visit multiple times! Countless people are planning their next trip before they even get back to their homes.

So that said - I would be very happy with Arenal, Monteverde and Montezuma.

Montezuma offers you a true small beach town experience. Directly on the beach, easy walking, monkeys and the sort. I thought Montezuma and Manuel Antonio were like night and day. But, MA does have lots to offer, more in the way of restaurants and accomadations, but less of the walk out of my room and onto the beach.

With Arenal and Monteverde you will get tons of rainforest, hiking adventures.

Now if you are considering dropping Monteverde for Manuel Antonio. Well that too is a tough decision. I am very happy that we visited Monteverde and hope to return there on trip 5 or so. I was totally in awe of Monteverde, so grand, so green. Where the following year MA just did not measure up in that "WOW" factor, as for the rainforest aspect. However the views from high up at MA overlooking the Pacific, WOW!

Now that you are totally confused, I would do Arenal, Monteverde and Montezuma. Or Arenal, Monteverde and MA. What you need to decide is what do you want out of your beach location.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shaytravels and dframer for responding. I think after spending time in Costa Rica, we'll go back like so many posters do- so I should just stop wondering what I am going to miss and just enjoy what I am going to see!! (though I have the day off today and am surfing other spots in Costa Rica!!)
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Exactly, just go and enjoy.

BTW you most likely will be surfing for CR info for many years to come.

I love to plan and have several trips on paper - Never know when I might need a quick plan! And yes it does happen and all I have to do is pull out an itineray and make the reservations.

Have fun