Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Early September Costa Rica where to go . . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exploring possible trip to Costa Rica in early September. From what I've seen, the Quepos/Manuel Antonio area is going to be really rainy and that will be no fun for us (dad, mom, 3 y.o. boy). Will other areas be less rainy (is this a coastal or forest issue)?

The boy loves waterfalls, btw, so I'm wondering if a stay in mountains (Arenal?) would be better.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM

This is hard to answer. You will find that certain people will ALWAYS say Arenal,Osa at BDC, etc. because they had such a great time there. In my opinion, there is NO place where you wouldn't have a good time. In my experience, MA will not be too rainey. If you want beach and the park, that is what I'd recommend with a little one. In CR, even in the Green season it is not rainey all day. Usually late afternoon and sometimes all evening. It is not a cold, stormy, uncomfortable rain. CR is so small that if you just get in the car and go a short distance you will be in an entirely different weather condition. We spent 4 nights socked in at Arenal with constant rain in Feb. and drove 20k down the road and SUNSHINE...Have a great trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM

Generally, the farther North you go, the less rain you will encounter. That said, I have been to Manuel Antonio a couple times in Sept. and found it lovely. Rainy afternoons and evenings. Beautiful sunny mornings. You just never know. I have been living in Costa Rica for over 5 years, in Nosara. Our average rainfall in May is 14 inches. This year we had about 37 inches in May! But still, many of the mornings were beautiful!
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How long of a trip are you planning for? You could split it up between MA & Arenal. That time of year is prime turtle nesting season in Tortuguero, but the long boat trip to get there would probably be too much for a 3 year old.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

We're thinking of splitting it like you suggest, Michelle, in potential 3 night/3 night blocks, but the idiot airline we'd take has only one direct flight to DFW from SJO and it's early a.m., so we may have to go to SJO the night before. Still evaluating that.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html is a good map for showing general rain patterns by month. Mouse over the areas you're interested in to get an idea of what to expect. Not always that predictable though.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BigRuss - We flew from SFO, redeye arriving about 10 am, so we went on our way. On the way home, even though our flight was about noon, we still spent the night before near San Jose. Road conditions are unpredictable, so you don't want to take the chance. With some time to kill, we visited the Ave(bird) Zoo before going to the airport. This could be a great little activity with your little one.

We also had the 3/3 split with MA & Arenal, but Arenel was cold and raining non-stop, so we ended up with a 2/4 split. This ended up working well. So, be flexible if weather is not cooperating.

We also spent 2 nights at Peace Lodge at the beginning of the trip. Loved it, but $$$$.