Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is it worth traveling to Mal Pais, Costa Rica in Aug-Dec?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Mal Pais, Costa Rica this year. We are not able to go until mid August at the earliest. We don't want to wait until next year to go. Is it worth going in any month between Aug and Dec, or should we wait until next year?

We also welcome any other suggestions for good restaurants/fun things to do or nearby places to visit.

Thanks,
Stacey + Brett
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Hi Stacey,

Worth it? I assume you are referring to the weather? Generally speaking, the Guanacaste province is the driest part down here. That said, the rain turns everything green and keeps things cooler. Mal Pais is basically a town that runs along a rough coastal road that can get a little muddy but it is as much the mix of people that live there as the beautiful location that make it one of Costa Rica's most "hip" destinations.
While you may have some rain it never lasts long and does not matter if you are surfing or sleeping. If I had to pick a month I would go for December, then November. If those do not work go in August.
Restaurants are very competitive on price and quality and therefore change frequently with the coming and going of staff. You will be best served to ask around but it attracts many excellent transient chefs that want to live there for a few months, not unlike Manuel Antonio has done for years.
Let me know if I can help further.
Max
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM

We live very close to the Mal Pais area year round and the rainy season does hit it's peak during the months of Sept/Oct, and sometimes lasting into mid Nov. That being said, you can expect at worst sunny/overcast mornings with rains starting in the afternoon,and possibly heavy storms at night. I do not have friends or family come down during these months and many businesses close. 4WD is essential and some of the access roads to and from MP can be cut off. Power outages at night very common. A great time to come if it is a light rainy season as everything is in bloom, green, gorgeous and there is no tourism. Rates go down incredibly but you run the risk of fowl weather.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your feedback! Would you say the end of July would be any better weather wise?

We are excited to plan our trip as soon as possible, but if its best to wait until after Dec, we will do so!

We will also be traveling to Arenal for the first half of our trip - how different is the weather in Arenal than Mal Pais?

As far as hotels - we were thinking of Casa Chameleon in Mal Pais - any thoughts on this hotel? Also, any recommendations for hotels in Arenal?

Thanks!
Stacey