Calling those who have been to Costa Rica in June/July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it rain too much during these seasons for it to be an enjoyable vacation? We know to expect some rain, but we don't want everything to be washed out! We will most likely spend most of out time in the central valley, Montverde, and Nicoya.

I'd love to hear where you were, and what the weather was like when you visited during June/July!

Thanks

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM

We were in CR for a week and a half in July. We encountered rain only for a couple of days though they said that it was rainy season. We went to Manuel Antonio, Monteverde, Poas, Arenal, La Paz, Jaco, and some other places. It was great weather for the most part. We got to see some great scenery and wildlife and had lots of fun.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:32 PM

You can never predict. We were lucky -- had a few showers but nothing too bad. Sometimes it rains like heck for an hour or two, then clears up.

Sandy
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM

I was in Costa Rica for the whole month of July in many areas of the country. Most of the days, it would start raining about 2-3 PM and rain on and off for the rest of the day and night. You can do your tours before that time.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM

WE loved Costa Rica in June 2005. Every single morning was sunny and this is the best time to get up early and do your hiking and your action/adventures. Every single afternoon it rained a bit. The rain didn't ruin our trip at all, since we planned around it. WE got up early (which is the least crowded time to hike anyway), and were tired by afternoon anyway. We enjoyed resting before dinner, or getting an umbrella and doing some shopping.

I talked to some people who live in Costa Rica, and the rainy season has the most beautiful and lush shades of green, the dry season is not the same quality of green.

I will happily visit Costa Rica again in June on our next trip! It might help to tell you where we went...Monteverde, Arnenal, Manuel Antonio, plus La Finca Que Ama near the Turrubares park, and the Hotel Bougainvillea in Heredia, plus the Hotel Villa Bonita in Alajuela. I can recommend the Lost Iguana resort in Arenal, especially the luxury suite, very worth it (it cost us about $160 a night.)

Monteverde was my favorite place in Costa Rica! Spend at least 3 nights there and remember it's a cloud forest, the mist descends after lunch, so do your hiking in the morning as early as possible. You will love it if you're a nature person. You will see more flora than fauna, the cloud forest is so dense the wildlife is hidden, you will hear more wildlife than you see. It's a mystical experience, I thought. Good food up at Monteverde too...Johnny's Pizzeria is great (has pasta too), and we liked Stella's for casual early breakfast, order at the counter...El Sapo Dorado has wonderful gourmet food. I would recommend you stay in either Fonda Vela or Monteverde Lodge, based on opionions of others. (I found our classic mountain cabin at El Sapo Dorado a little too basic, especially with all 4 of us crammed in one cabin.) But as I mentioned food is great at El Sapo dorado, I recommend any meal there!

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Melissa has the right attitude, the variable rains in the afternoon are never heavy enough or long enough to really disrupt your trip. Our last trip was during Aug and I remember wishing it would rain so it might cool off a bit! Enjoy your trip, there is really no bad time to go to CR.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM

I agree with the above posts that before 2 PM, the weather is nice. The rain after that only annoyed me when I was in remote places like Osa where there was nothing to do after 2 PM.

You certainly will have fun there in June. Have a great trip.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM

We have spent the month of July in Costa Rica for the past 3 years. Twice we were there during the last part of June as well. We have never had our plans spoiled due to rain. The most we have seen anywhere was in Manuel Antonio 3 years ago--same as dfarmer mentioned--later in the afternoons.

Many times those afternoon rains just last for 45 min or an hour--we've noticed that more in the central valley--or during the night.

And there have been days (weeks) at a time with no rain at all--not only in Guanacaste (which is always a little drier), but in the central valley, the Caribbean side, and the southern Nicoya Peninsula. Last July, we would have LOVED some sprinkles in the afternoon! We spent several days in Puerto Viejo and Montezuma a little rain would have been a welcome relief!

Granted, it usually rains a little more than what I have described, but truly, it isn't usually much of a problem. The potential is always there, I suppose. . .perhaps we've just been very lucky!