domestic airfare in Argentina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recently booked flights on Aerolineas Argentina from BA to Salta for early November, and found that we saved US$125 per ticket by booking it with a travel agent in BA, over what we could get online ourselves or through a US travel agent. If we had flown down to Argentina on Aero. Arg. we would have saved even more on the internal flights, but that wasn't possible for us. It is true that the prices for Argentina residents are far lower than those charged for foreigners.

Aer. Arg. offered the best flight times for our itinerary.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 04:25 AM

Which agent did you use?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:32 AM

The price that you pay does depend on whether you are a resident of Argentina or not but it does not really matter for your case because you are still giving the US passport to the travel agent even though the travel agent is located in Argentina. So, you would still get charged the foreigners rate.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM

skatedancer:

igorvodov is absolutely correct that your personal data will show you to be a foreigner.

BUT rules and regulations are one thing, what actually happens is another. This is especially so in Latin cultures where life is not taken so literally.

We found that our travel agent in Bs. As. got us much better rates long distance from Canada than we could have on our own.

This happened for internal air travel [within Chile and Argentina] with bus, private transfer, tours, hotel and with other travel arrangements.

We used Mercedes at Argentina Escapes by internet. I was aprehensive at first to pay in advance so I checked their credit first, found them to be okay and took a chance. That turned out to be a very good decision. She worked out a great trip for us and we were very pleased. I would highly recommend Mercedes and will certainly use her again in the future even though my wife grew up in Bs. As., she is not a travel agent and using a professional is always my top choice.

Good luck

Woodie
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

We booked our flights as Americans; didn't mean to imply that we got the resident rate, just got it cheaper than if we booked it from here.

Our agent was Marcela at TTSViajes. website ttsviajes.com. We have a friend in BA, and this is the agent he uses for all his travel. Only used her for the airfare, not hotels, only because I had done so much research on my own and knew where I wanted to stay; so I don't know if we would have saved booking hotels through her; but we're staying at all small places, and the rates in Argentina are so low, that I don't think could have left too much money we left on the table by doing it ourselves!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM

We booked flights for two in December through Cecilia at WOWARGENTINA.

The rates were very low, low, low.

We paid About $450 each to fly in December from BA to Bariloche, and then on to El Calafate in Patagonia, and then return to BA.

That is insanely about $125 per leg and the last leg is about $200 becasue it is longer. That is about half what we would pay booking on the web.

I know the web showed these fares were over $850 for these flights. The exact flights we are on showed full by the time I started to book. Yet the same flights were open for the local travel agent a few days later.

Crazy but it all seems to work out.

But, we found, local travel agents get NO Commission from airlines so you need to ALSO BOOK AT LEAST hotels with them