Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Day of the Dead Celebrations and finding hotels available??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked up Day of the Dead and it is Nov 1-2, which falls on Tues/Wed this year. We are considering a long weekend trip to Mexico and are wondering if we'll run into problems with finding hotels.

What do you think, will celebrations begin the weekend before, extend to the weekend after? Should we wait until later in Nov?

We haven't picked a destination yet but are considering Guanajuato, Mexico City, or PV.

Thanks in advance,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Haven't been in Puerto Vallarta for Day of the Dead but have been to Cancun, I don't think you will have a problem getting a hotel room. Go to Google and type in Day of the Dead and check it out. Hope this helps a bit. I am going to miss it this year going on the 5th of Nov to P.V.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Day of the Dead is not a huge celebration in Puerto Vallarta. There is some activity at the cemetary and commemorative altars set up around the zocolo.

If you want to take part in a fantastic local festival and can wait another month, the Festival for the Virgin of Guadalupe (thanking the mexican virgin mary for the blessings she has given to the people during the year) runs the week before and culminates on Dec 12th. There are parades every evening thru the streets downtown to the cathedral... marching bands, dancing groups, citizens walking with candles, singing, floats, etc.

Thanksgiving week is also lovely in PV. No special activities but some of the restaurants offer American style meal on Thursday.

So while I adore PV and encourage you to visit, if seeing Day of the Dead activities is your focus, I'd choose somewhere different for your trip.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Mexico City is a good choice for seeing Day of the Dead celebrations, but I'm guessing that you would need to go to one of the larger cemeteries to actually see anything.

If you are interested in more lively celebrations (no pun intended), I'd try Oaxaca.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks y'all . . . we are not trying to work a weekend trip to experience Dia de Los Muertos, we're just wondering if we do find a good deal on airfare if we'll have a problem finding accommodations because of it.

By the responses so far, it seems the answer is no. Now we'll keep our fingers crossed that we can get a deal on flights.

Thanks again,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Oops.

You assumed correctly. Finding a hotel shouldn't be any harder or easier than any other day.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Should not be a problem finding lodging in SMdA.
M
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In PV hotels are still cheap as this is not yet considered "high-season". You would definitely not have a problem. Most hotels up rates around Thanksgiving or certainly by Christmas then thru approx. Easter.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:11 PM

I doubt you'll have a problem in any of the cities you mention. Day of the Dead is kind of a localized thing when it's observed --- it's not a holiday that people would go travelling to observe.

As others have said, don't wait.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com