Mexico City Airport Flight Connection Time

Oct 1st, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Mexico City Airport Flight Connection Time

I am considering flying Aeromexico from Guadalajara to New York. I would have to change planes in Mexico City. Both flights are Aeromexico. There is 1 hour and 10 minutes scheduled between flights. Are there any Mexico City Airport experts who can tell me if it's likely I'll make my connection? Thanks.
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:33 PM

hi
Just came back from a trip to Zihuantanejo from NY with a connection in Mexico City. One hour and 10 minutes should be fine. When you arrive in Mexico City, you have to go from the International side of the airport to the Domestic side. As you walk through, you have to go through and get your passport stamped. That might take 10-15 minutes at the most. Once you get through, you will see a number of gates. You can go upstairs (you will see stairs going up on the right) and go to the Aeromexico desk and ask which gate your flight leaves from, or keep walking to the Aeromexico area and they will tell you. As you are walking through the airport, don't hesitate to stop one of the helpful airline people and ask them simply, "Guadaljara?" and they will point you in the right direction (make sure you know your numbers in Spanish though).
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM

Sorry, I just re-read your posting and you are asking about going from Mexico to NY. You will do the same thing as I said except you will go from the Domestic to the International side. You should be able to check bags all the way through to NY.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:15 AM

You will most likely make it. I have been through there many times with just 1 hour connections and I have only missed it, I think, three times. In these cases they put me/us on a flight within an hour or two. The last time we were late Aeromexico held the flight 45 minutes waiting for us. Aeromexico is generally pretty helpful.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:01 PM

One hour ten minutes will be tight. I've used the Mexico City airport scores of times and have never heard of someone making it from their airplane to immigration and through immigration in 10-15 minutes - it's just not possible. Once you do get out of immigration you'll most likely have to clear security again - and that can, under some circumstances, take 15 min to 30 min. Aeromexico might hold the flight for you if you're late, and maybe not. There are, however, other flights to GDL that they'll put you on. As for returning to NY from GDL, through Mexico City, you won't have the same hassle as you face on arrival in Mexico, and you should be okay.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:05 PM

We arrive from LA on 1st of January at 4.30pm and the flight to Oaxaca leaves at 6pm, how does that sound ?
Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:53 AM

You're probably ok, Marko, although your luggage may not make it. We actually had quite a bit of time between our flights last February, but our luggage still didn't make it. It did show up at our B&B the next day fortunately.

Oct 4th, 2005, 12:49 AM

Will we be able to check it thru ?
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Timing wise, you should be perfectly OK. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes to walk from one end of the airport to the other. So even if you arrive from GDL on gate 3, and your flight departs from gate 30, it is perfectly possible to get there with time to spare.

The only situation where timing MAY be tight is if you arrive at a 'remote' location, when you have to wait for a bus to take you back to the terminal. Usually, this adds no more than 10-15 minutes, but in some instances it could take a little longer. Since you are coming on a flight from GDL, it is more probable that you will arrive directly at a gate, and not to a 'remote' location.

Your luggage will be checked through, and you will have two boarding passes. You don't have to go through security or anything like that. When moving from the 'national' area to the 'international' area, there will be a guy there checking your boarding pass and that's it.
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Gotta diagree with gomex as it does work fine- at least most of the time in my experience over the years. What makes it work is if you are flying Aeromexico all the way as you state, You should be able to get your boarding passes in New York, your bags should be checked through as well. You can then clear customs and proceed to your gate.
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Dude,

John's going from Mexico to the US, so no need to go through customs. That's why I'm pretty sure that he can make it with time to spare (assuming that his flight from GDL is on time, of course)
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Hello!
I think it is fine.Are you a tourist? If so the gate agent should take your "visa" receipt at the gate and that is the only immigration requirement. You can check your bags all the way through. The airport takes 15 minutes to walk at a brisk pace.Just did a Leon to Salt Lake via a Mexico City Connection. All on Aero Mexico... had an hour... it was easy. If you do need to go through immigration.. use the one at gate 19 on the domestic side of the airport. We did not go through security again when leaving Mexico. We had to do this when arriving. If your flights are time you should be fine! Maggie
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Thanks Jean- Sometimes my mind sees what it wants it to see (I guess). I am sure it would work the other way, but certainly, departing from Mexico- no problem.